+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Shift work and child care....

How did you solve your child care if you or your partner are doing shift work?
    We where lucky to find a center that could accommodate my partners rotating roster, (I am doing full time) for about 4 months, but now when my son is 15 months old he needs to go to another room with bigger kids and they say they can help us any longer, so we have to pay for 5 days per week when we only need 1 or 2 days per week ( some weeks none). It is so frustrating I could scream.
    Here we got a great dad being home with his kid, but we are forced to pay a full week...the system is just not working..but I am wondering if there is a solution that I just am not aware of....so that is way i\I am posting the issue...

Endie

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Check with centerlink as you can still claim ccb and ccr on days your kid does not go to cc cos of a rotating roster. The other thing is a nanny. If your DH knows his roster ahead of schedule then a nanny would be great for you.

I would leave your kid in daycare 2 days a week if you like and use a nanny service on other days as required.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Check in your local area if there is an occasional care centre as they are very flexible with hours, my daughter go alternating wednesday because of kindy and I only pay for the hours she goes for.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I pm'd you

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had the same problem as a shift worker with a rotating roster. I had to pay for 5 days a week, and only ever used 2 days. Very frustrating. I was able to still claim ccb and the rebate, I just had to provide a letter from my employer re: my rotating shifts.

Family day care could be an option if you can find a carer who is willing to accommodate your roster. I never had any luck, but it's worth a try. I considered the nanny option, but at the time it ended up still being more affordable to pay a centre full-time after taking into account rebates. Occasional care wasn't an option for me, as the centres close to me had shorter opening hrs.

They really need to address the need for flexible day care for shift workers. I know many others with the same issue ( nurses etc).

Best of luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If you have a known rotating roster, then you could perhaps try and find another parent with a complementary rotating roster and ask the centre if they would be willing to let you two book the days between your two children.

If it is unknown however, then that leaves you in more of a bind.