+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Staying at home with 2 DD's

Hi guys,

I was hoping to get some advice.

Currently my DW and I both work fulltime, we have two DD's (one almost 3 years and the other 6 months) who are both in fulltime daycare.

Due to paying out so much in daycare, having to work long hours (which effects our dd's), the girls getting sick from daycare and having to take time off, feeling like we are going backward financially and not having any family in town, we are considering one of us leaving work to stay home with the girls. And because my DW earns alot more than me I would be the one at home.

Now, I will add that when our first DD arrived I stayed home with her for 8 months from when she was 7 months so am aware of some things to expect, but realise it's totally different with two. Especially with a almost 3 year old.

Can anyone give me advice on what to expect? Tips? Things to be aware of? Am I crazy?

Thanks.

GluttonForPunishment is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Optimistic Poster and Newbie of the Year Awards
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Man, you're not crazy at all! Good work on asking for ideas! I'm not a stay at home dad, but I am a divorced dad and have my two to myself nearly half the time - though they are older than yours, 6 and 3. No real advice mate other than enjoy it! You're lucky enough to be there with them during the early years. I wish I could have done so!

BH-bigbadbrad is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    BubHubby - Proud in Pink
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Dad72,

Raising kids is the most important job on the planet! If more people got that then less kids would turn out badly!

Kids are a product of their environment. If you can stay at home that I encourage you to do so, particularly if you can return to work easily once they are at school!

I know a number of Dads in your position, it is not the norm but is not wrong either. The most important thing is that you do not resent your kids for not working and enjoy the time with them as it passes very quickly.

One of the great things about working from home is the amount of time I have got to spend with my kids, it has been fantastic!

All the best
    BBB

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-bigbadbrad For This Useful Post:

GluttonForPunishment  (18-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DH is currently SAHD for our 2 kids, DD nearly 3 and DS 12 weeks. I got a new job just as I found out I was pregnant so I would've lost my job if I stayed home and DH gets paid parental leave. He suggested the move which I was surprised at.
    To be honest, he has struggled a lot. It's only been in the last 2 weeks that he's really found his groove. He is more relaxed and really enjoying the kids. One thing that does keep his sanity is the 3 year old in care a few days per week. On those days he does the boring errands and can enjoy a coffee at the local cafe and have a bit of down time while baby is sleeping. He finds it really tough some days when they are both home. By the time I get home from work he is busting to get out of the house, or at least away from the kids. No different to how a mum feels by the end of the day.
    Our baby absolutely adores DH and the bond they already have is just fabulous. While I am jealous of that bond, at the same time I'm grateful that he took this opportunity to be with the kids. Once he goes back to work when DS is 6 months old, he is talking of working 4 days per week to still get time with the kids.
    Definitely worth taking the opportunity if you can.