+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Poor mlk supply - how would I know?

My DS 2 is 5.5 months and is feeding pretty much ALL night.

The lack of sleep is killing me.

I am wondering if there is a supply issue? His growth is quite slow but steady. He is otherwise healthy and meeting milestones.

He has been having a bit of pureed mush for a couple of weeks (but the sleeping has been bad for longer than that).

If I do have supply issues, how would I know?

Also, is it worth trying to boost supply (expressing, fenugreek etc) anyway?

Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks

BTW we are on the waitlist of the local Tresillian/Karitane for sleep 'issues'.
    Last edited by sunnymummy; 17-04-2012 at 21:05. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi I am not sure about supply issues but if he has 4 -5 wet nappies a day he is getting enough plus he is putting on weight so thats another indicator. Is it possible he is comfort sucking? I never realised this is what my 10 week old was doing, I just thought he was constantly hungry!
    I have been using fenugreek tablets to boost my supply and when I have time I bake lactation cookies.
    Sorry I can't be of more help. Hope you get some sleep soon.
    Last edited by Beatnik; 17-04-2012 at 21:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You could try expressing milk to see how much milk you can get! It will also increase your supply over time!! That's how I always kept an eye on my supply!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by KCT View Post
    You could try expressing milk to see how much milk you can get! It will also increase your supply over time!! That's how I always kept an eye on my supply!!
    Sorry just wanted to respond to this.
    It's really not an accurate way to test your supply. Some people can't even express 5ml but have oversupply.

I'd go by wet nappies. Also my Dd is 5 months and was sleeping 8 hours blocks up until 3.5 months. She now wakes hourly through the night too. I've heard the 19 week growth spurt can last 5/6 weeks starting early.

Baby wearing, co-sleeping, booby feeding mummy to one

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Etienne For This Useful Post:

MilkiCuddles  (17-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Etienne View Post
    It's really not an accurate way to test your supply. Some people can't even express 5ml but have oversupply.

I'd go by wet nappies. Also my Dd is 5 months and was sleeping 8 hours blocks up until 3.5 months. She now wakes hourly through the night too. I've heard the 19 week growth spurt can last 5/6 weeks starting early.
    Yep, this is my 6 month old too. She was such a great sleeper as a newborn, but it's all gone to poo just lately. Last night she woke ever hour at times and 2-3 hourly at best. I have no idea what's up with her, as some nights she goes 4 hours and occasionally shocks me with a 6 or 7 hour stretch. But mostly she's been waking a LOT. And I have no worries at all about my supply, I really think it's got more to do with other things as I make PLENTY of milk.

The way I know that I make plenty of milk, despite the frequent waking at night, is that DD is growing very well, has lots of wet nappies, eats solids 2 or 3 times a day (only small amounts at this stage), and if she feeds again soon after a previous feed there is a full feed there waiting for her and I get a let down on each side.

I breastfed DS for nearly 4 years, so I guess I've just come to know over time how my supply is and feeding on demand is, well, sometimes demanding!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Etienne View Post

Baby wearing, co-sleeping, booby feeding mummy to one
    Yes I guess it depends on how effective pumping is for the individual person! Like I said....it worked for me!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There is an exceptionally crappy period of non sleeping between 4-6/7 mths. It's not you. It's bubs!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (18-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzys Mummy View Post
    There is an exceptionally crappy period of non sleeping between 4-6/7 mths. It's not you. It's bubs!!
    I agree with this!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzys Mummy View Post
    Agree totally