+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week

Question For those parents with only 1 child..how did you know your family was complete?

*No idea what section to put this, but if there's a better spot please feel fre to move it mods.*

So like the title states..how did you know that 1 child was enough & your family was complete?

When did you decide?

Did you always only want 1 child?

For those that originally thought they wanted more than 1 child, when did you change your mind?

I have always had it in my mind that I wanted 2 children. But after the journey we went through to get our beautiful DS I'm not sure if I could go back and do it all over again for number 2. So now part of me thinks that I could be happy with 1 child, but a little part of me doesn't feel like our family is complete yet...and I would love for DS to have a sibling.

So just wanting to hear from others to see how they made the decision...will give me some food for thought.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Subscribing. I feel exactly the same way.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

summastarlet  (17-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is a section in Same Interest seftion, but to answer my family is not complete.

When I had dd nearly 9 years ago, there was a small window to have another. I was unaware of that window, and as a sole parent on a low income that window was not accessible anyway. Instead, I choose to look after other kids. Not the same, but somewhat fills a void.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have had one and are keeping it that way. We had said two, but after a tough pregnancy and shocking labor and with our gorgeous baby in our arms we knew that we had our family. Have we discussed it since, of course, have we had clucky moments definitely. But we are a complete family. Theres no rhyme or reason to it, we just knew.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mumsies For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I just wrote the biggest heartfelt reply an lost it

I always wanted more then one. After DD was born we said "no more" over a year later we toyed with the idea of another. After many m/c's we realised we really didn't want anymore. This is going to sound disgusting, but we were kind of relived after our 7th m/c because we realised we were happy and didn't need or want another baby.

The one thing I struggle with is giving DD a sibling, knowing she is lonely and would like a little "friend". She would be an amazing big sister, she is such a beautiful, happy social butterfly. But when I think of another I literally have a panic attack, I just can't do it, I don't want to have another baby but I feel horrible, guilty and selfish for feeling this way.

Who knows what our future will hold, I got DD a puppy in hopes she can find her best friend in her. I can't say for sure we won't have another but at this point in time, no we will not.
    Last edited by waterlily; 17-04-2012 at 21:14.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (17-04-2012),summastarlet  (17-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We've recently decided to only have one ... My husband comes from a culture where big families are the norm and had ways wanted atleast two, I THOUGHT I wanted the same, but in reality I didn't. I'm happy with one. I broached the subject of only having one with dh, thinking that it would end up with me caving in to having more, but surprisingly he is as content with one as I am.

I have absolutely NO yearning desire for more.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Me&MrMagoo For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (17-04-2012),summastarlet  (17-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Summastarlet I could have written your post word for word so I hope you don't mind me intruding...would love to read your replies

13. The Following User Says Thank You to LoCo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have one son who is almost 4 and I always thought that I wanted at least one more but since having a couple of miscarriages in 2010 and 2011 I am no longer convinced that I actually want another child.

Unfortunately for me though I do not have the luxury of time to actually work out what I want because I will be 38 this year and if I do not start trying again soon it will be too late.

Even though I know the above I still do not know if I want another one. I know that I would like our son to have a sibling and that my husband wants another child and is an awesome father and I know that I would regret at least not trying to have another so I need to start...but still each month goes by with me having yet another excuse as to 'not this month'.

I have not helped you at all I know lol.

Reasons why I am leaning towards just having one child is that I enjoy that he is getting older and we can do more with him now and plan overseas trips he will remember, we can give him everything he could ever need financially, I can continue with my career and a big reason I am scared of having another miscarriage.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsTruth For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (18-04-2012),summastarlet  (17-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by LoCo View Post
    Summastarlet I could have written your post word for word so I hope you don't mind me intruding...would love to read your replies
    Not at all! Glad it's not just me feeling like this!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Feel the same

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Aleen84 For This Useful Post:

summastarlet  (18-04-2012)