+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    heeeeerekittykitty is offline My babies, my cats ....ahhhh , bliss !!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi all , anyone else gone through EEG or chromosome blood testing with their child , especially if their child has special needs ?

I left the app feeling very happy and positive that the pead was being thorough , yet now after some reactions from family ( horrified that they would do these two things and are assuming it must mean that the pead thinks something must be gravely wrong and isn't telling me ) I'm wondering if this can be common practice in these situations to do these tests along with a formal assessment .

I just assumed my pead was being extremely thorough and felt very lucky now I'm worried even more after the negative responses ?

Thanks xxoo

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    i think these tests are being done because your paed doesnt believe that its autism, and there could be a few other things it MAY be, so wants to check. i dont think it means there is something horribly wrong and they just arent telling you.

you would have definitely been told if there was a strong likelyhood of something else.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi DE :-)

I thought the opposite actually , that these sorts of tests were infact done for suspected autism along with some other things , or don't these tests show any indicators of autism ? Assuming your boys never got these things done except for formal assessments of course .

I really wish I had a crystal ball . I'm in a very grey area at the moment not knowing where this will all go and I'm worried sick . All I can do is wait , that's life :-)

Thx again darling

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS has had the chromosomal blood testing done. Its a thorough test that they conduct to see if there are any physical reasons that can cause the problem.
    They test for things like Fragile X and other chromosomal abnormalities.
    No big deal. It was 6 vials of blood.

The assessment is probably like pp said some questionnaires with 'all the time, some of the time, rarely, and never' answers.
    When we started with DS's formal assessment, it was 4 days of testing and observing. The first day was a 3 hour interview with just me and a loooooooooot of questionnaires. My head was spinning at the end of it
    Just remember to always fill in the answer for the worst case scenario.

Have not heard about doing an EEG for lack of speech. At least he'll be asleep so that will help a lot with getting accurate results.

You have a good pead! I like doctors who are thorough and don't leave any stones unturned. The kind of doctor you walk in worried sick and walk out feeling relieved.

Goodluck hun, let us know how you go

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh and no, these blood tests dont indicate autism. You can't do a physical test for autism. You can however test for certain chromosomal disorders that mimic autistic symptoms. Fragile X being one of them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for all that Misschief , very helpful and informative .

I do feel very lucky , I seem to have a great thorough pead , our speech therapist was also really happy to hear he recommended these things as she said she so often hears over and over let's wait and see , wait six more months or a year etc .

I hope this is all for nothing , sure I could just wait . But I don't wish to . If there is a problem I don't want to have wasted crucial valuable time.

Thx again Misschief !! Xx