+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I tend to agree that regular speech would be better, my ds#2 started speech at 2yrs 5 months.

heeeeerekittykitty is offline My babies, my cats ....ahhhh , bliss !!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Mim1- I am going to download the app now , it can't hurt To try . It does look like hard work but so ultra rewarding and helpful I'm sure when they learn some signs to use. Hearing your stories on your nephew and brother is so helpful , I really mean that :-) I don't know one single child in real life thats not talking so well at my sons age and the constant " isn't he talking yet" comments are not helping so to hear any stories where's speech and language was an issue is great.

Spit the dummy - thanks for saying my post isn't silly I really do feel I'm overreacting sometimes based on the whole " he'll talk when he's ready lectures I get " . I hope things begin to improve and look up for your son also.

Hopefully2- thanks for your encouraging words and advice , he has been to an ENT ( last year) for constant ear infections ( no grommets were required) and they checked he's hearing also and said it was fine. I winder should I go again . That said he has selective hearing when he doesn't want to do something but could hear a pin drop when he wants to , when it comes to things that interest him such as me trying to sneak out the garbage or go in the backyard( he loves being outside) he has eagle ears and will hear any creak of the door Everytime . I feel like once a month is also not much . However the ST insisted that there is really not much more she can do at this point while we take the " wait and see fr a little while approach" as she believes I'm doing everything I can be doing at home based on what I tell her plus watching me and ds interact during sessions : confused : ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son has speech issues. We had his hearing checked and that was good. His receptive language was fine, the problem was his expressive language. My mum and I knew something was not right. He had very few words, and the words he did have were wrong (he would say 'dar' for Thomas and bus, 'bebum' for Toby (Thomas character)). He started private speech therapy when he was 2 years 4 months. It took a lot longer for him to get on the public list, but now also gets public speech therapy. He was diagnosed with verbal dyspraxia. Basically his brain not telling the muscles in his mouth to move properly to make the speech sounds. He started going weekly for a year, then fortnightly for a year, monthly for the year after, now he goes weekly again to a different speech therapist trying to get him to learn the more difficult to produce speech sounds. There is home practise.

I hope you can get some answers and the help your son needs. My son is nearly 7 and most of the time you wouldn't know he has speech issues.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 79me For This Useful Post:

hopefully2  (17-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    big hugs, I know how you feel,
    My son will be three on Sunday. He is having trouble learning to talk and comprehending language. We have been doing private speech therapy for 5 months with some great results, it just seems so slow. He gets very frustrated because he cannot express himself. His private speech theripst hasn't done a formal assesment yet because they want to wait until he is more settled. However my son has just been accepted into the public system and they do the formal assessment stright away. We finished the assessment yesterday, I asked how he went and the theripst said not well. I asked if it is a delay will the catch up? she said because of his receptive delay its more likely a disorder. What does all this mean? Will he catch up to his peers? can he go to main****** school? is he going to make friends?
    Sorry about taking over, i just need some possitive reassurance from people in the same situation

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    See... I never found sign hard work at all! All you do is memorise a sign (start with just one) and each time you say the word sign it.. Believe me, after a week it's second nature. I found it insanely simple to do, but then, I did start singing when my son was born (we had heard about teaching babies to sign lol.. Coincidentally he ended up NEEDING sign later on for his speech) between 12 months and 15 months we kicked it up a notch and he did his first sign at 15 months. Once he figured he could do it it was quick moving from there into more signs :-)

***Happy to be a Mummy & Daddy of ONE! :-) ***

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi I understand completely. My daughter didn't speak until 4yrs old. She has a lot of other medical and developmental issues though.

We used makaton sign language to start with, and made a big issue of getting her to attempt some form of verbal interaction to get what she wants.

She is no almost 6 and although she's still got big speech delays, she's doing sooooo well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 2gorjusboys View Post
    big hugs, I know how you feel,
    My son will be three on Sunday. He is having trouble learning to talk and comprehending language. We have been doing private speech therapy for 5 months with some great results, it just seems so slow. He gets very frustrated because he cannot express himself. His private speech theripst hasn't done a formal assesment yet because they want to wait until he is more settled. However my son has just been accepted into the public system and they do the formal assessment stright away. We finished the assessment yesterday, I asked how he went and the theripst said not well. I asked if it is a delay will the catch up? she said because of his receptive delay its more likely a disorder. What does all this mean? Will he catch up to his peers? can he go to main****** school? is he going to make friends?
    Sorry about taking over, i just need some possitive reassurance from people in the same situation
    Hi there , please don't apologise for taking over , your not at all !!! I hope that someone can give you some advice and if you don't get any maybe start a fresh thread that will attract more traffic and your OP can stand out more .

That's great to hear you've gotten some results in the last five months , it's so hard to be patient though :-(

I'm sorry I can't help more , I don't know much at all about these things either but I really hope you get some answers from someone . Xxxxooooo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Heeeeerkittykitty, I am very new to forums still working it all out. Yes would love some advice from others. feel so scared just not knowing. Good luck with your little boy, i hope his speech starts to improve soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for posting this. My DS is almost 3 and has been diagnosed with an expressive language delay along with some sensory issues.

I've often worried about how long it will be before he's talking and sometimes felt like it's never going to happen. I've also sadly watched him with other kids his age and have seen them starting to chat away and wished it was so easy for him and us.

We've just recently completed the Hanen It Takes Two To Talk program and that was helpful. They now want us to start one on one speech therapy and OT which should be soon. And we're back to the paed next week for a follow up appointment so I'll be interested to see what comes from that.

DH apparently had speech issues and required therapy as a child and was mostly caught up by school so we're hoping for the same outcome for our DS.

I just wanted to share and say thanks, it's good to hear other stories and see that there will be improvement with some effort.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all just an update on this .

The ST is considering that DS could have childhood apraxia of speech :-( . It's hard to diagnose in young children and it's not set in stone but it's a strong possibility due to he's absolute lack of words fullstop , he's appearing to be trying to talk but just CAN'T . Just CAN NOT .

I am so devastated and every time I look at him my heart breaks . I'm so worried my biggest fear is coming true , that he will never talk . I know I am absolutely jumping to conclusions and instantly going to worse case scenario, he may not have it , he may have it mild moderate , he may just be a very late talker and all these assessments and appointments are for nothing , but I just feel strongly that there's something more than just a late talker going on .

I feel very selfish for feeling this way . I have a healthy happy LIVING child , how dare I be so devastated over a potential apraxia diagnosis is what I'm telling myself .

I would love to hear from anyone with experience regarding speech apraxia ?

Thanks all and as always I appreciate the support I've gotten over the last year regarding this topic and my concerns , love this place <3 xo

79me - you replied to me when I originally posted this that your child has this speech disorder I would love to pm you if you wouldn't mind . Xo