+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    heeeeerekittykitty is offline My babies, my cats ....ahhhh , bliss !!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Please educate me on expressive language delays

Hi all

Many people may know im concerned about my son not talking yet . He's 2 years 3 months , says car ( without the c ) and mum . That's all .

Understands and follows instructions well , no issues that I can see in any other areas .

The speechie I touch base with every month or so said that it could be two things . Either he's a late talker or may have a language delay . She said she's leaning away from any autism type diagnosis as he shows no signs in that regard ( besides from a dew quirks ) except for the lack of speech . We agreed to be patient , wait it out and see at 3 if he's talking before we explore what the issue could be , while still seeing each other monthly to keep tabs on him.

She's confident at this point in time I'm doing the basic things I can in the home to atleast encourage speaking .

I know I'm jumping the gun , it could be this , it could something else , it could be nothing and he may begin talking . But I just feel so sad all the time that he's not talking :-(

Sad for him that he can't express himself verbally even though he does a great job non verbally . Sad that I may have caused this by doing or not doing something .

I guess I just want to allay my fears , that if it is worst case scenario and he does have a language delay , autism , a speech issue , I don't know , anything , that there's light at the end of the tunnel and he WILL talk . I worry for he's future , will he struggle at school , have friends , get bullied , be HAPPY :-(

. I am soooooo thinking too far ahead and overreacting , I know this, but I can't help it. I have written then deleted a thread on this all week . Feeling petty that if this is the most I have got to worry about at the moment regarding my child that I should feel lucky . Worried that people will think omg here she goes AGAIN about her son not talking . But it feels good to blurt it all out , if I get any nasty replies or none at all ill get over it :-)

I look at him around other two year olds chattering away and feel sad for him.

It doesn't help that I don't have much support in real life , the three people closest to me believe strongly that he will talk when he's ready and I'm worrying too much so I don't discuss this with them .

I guess after this ramble what I would like is to hear from anyone that has first hand experience with speech or language issues ? Anyone with very late talkers ? Any positive stories on late talkers or children with speech delays that have overcome them or improved greatly with help ?

He seems to have no interest at all , and occasionally he looks like he would like to say a word verbally but just doesn't know how to?? Besides from this he babbles and is very vocal with sounds noises he's own little language etc .

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU in advance for any replies . I feel like I've failed DS somehow , wondering where I've gone wrong ?

Xxooxxoo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can I ask if he attempts to communicate with you in other ways? Does he point at stuff to show you or use babble? If he is trying to communicate, then it doesn't sound like autism. I work in the diagnosis of autism

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My tip.. Sign language! Teach him some signs.. Things like yes, no, milk, drink, eat, potty, boy, girl, mum, dad, fun, ball, tree etc, etc. My son has dyspraxia, stuttering and expressive issues and has been in public speech therapy at north lakes since he was 12 months old. What your therapist says sounds pretty spot on to me.. At 2 they usually keep tabs monthly and give you tips on how to encourage speech (Wait, don't interrupt child, give them lots of silence after asking a question to encourage them to fill that silence, pay a real interest in what THEY are interested in at that moment.. They are much more likely to interact with you if you're showing interest!) It is good that they are seeing him once a month :-) But like I said, I would definitely do sign to help with frustration on yours and his part and contrary to some ppl beliefs sign actually encourages speech!

***Happy to be a Mummy & Daddy of ONE! :-) ***

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Happy2be3 For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (17-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=MinnieMouse81;6509396]Can I ask if he attempts to communicate with you in other ways? Does he point at stuff to show you or use babble? If he is trying to communicate, then it doesn't sound like autism. I work in the diagnosis of autism[/QUOTE

Not to mention that autism is SO much more than just speech delay. Speech delay and disorders do exist on their own also.

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://www.hanen.org/Hanen-Programs/...t-Program.aspx

This is a course I did for free as suggested by speech.. Ask them about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My son was diagnosed with expressive and receptive speech delays just before he was 2. We saw a speech therapist fortnightly for a year, but we were a bit lazy with doing the activities at home.

When he turned 3, his language just blossomed. It also coincided with him going to a daycare centre with 23 other kids in the room. Prior to that he was in family daycare with 3 other kids, which, by the end were all younger than him. I think he's still a bit behind the other kids, but I can see constant improvement, whereas at 2, it was just stagnant.

In retrospect, I think he was just a late talker. Apparently I was a late talker as well. Although he has social issues as well, so I guess austism could be a possibility but we're not yet exploring it.

But, I think you're doing the right thing. You're under the direction of a speech therapist, doing the activities.

I know that feeling of feeilng heartbroken because your child is different or behind the other kids. It's really tough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnieMouse81 View Post
    Can I ask if he attempts to communicate with you in other ways? Does he point at stuff to show you or use babble? If he is trying to communicate, then it doesn't sound like autism. I work in the diagnosis of autism
    Hi Minnie , yes he points at everything he wants , plus points things out on television or when we are out that spark hes interest . Or he will lead me to what he wants or bring the item to me .

The Speech therapist also stated he's non verbal communication skills are very advanced so that's a plus to help us all communicate .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Happy2b3 - thanks do much for uour advice

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No advice just

Thanks
    Reviews
    Happy2b3- thank you so much for your advice , and I have heard about sign language it seems great , I am going to google more about it now ! How old is your son now and how is he's speech ? I hope he's flourishing and doing well :-) in most sessions me and the SP have discussed the Hanen course and she has also given me lots of information to take home regarding it , she seems pretty happy with the things I'm doing at home with him so far .

MsMummy- thank you to you also for your post and advice . Your right , it is tough and makes you very sad for them when they are lagging behind . Was your son talking at all at 2 ? How is he's speech now ?

Thanks so much and sorry for all the questions . Xxoo