+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Withdrawal

Now I'll start this by saying that I know the withdrawal method isn't particularly reliable, but I'm wondering if anyone has used it when they haven't got a period back while breastfeeding (ie lactation ammenhorrea (sp?) method).

I'm feeding DS2 who's five months old and I haven't had AF back yet, but he does sometimes go more than 4 hours between feeds overnight.

I'm wondering if both methods combined would be reasonably effective?
    When TTC our boys it took 3-6 months to get pregnant and we were actively trying. I did fall pregnant first go another time but miscarried.

I'll add that I'm planning for a 2.5-3 year gap between bubs, but if I did fall pregnant accidentally I wouldn't be upset - overwhelmed, yes, but I'd be ok with it.

Thoughts? I'm just hating condoms right now and don't like hormonal contraceptives.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH and I used this method effectivly, and still do, for three years before we had DS1. Once we started trying we fell pregnant first time round, and first time with DS2 as well, so guessing we are pretty fertile.
    I'm the same, not keen on condoms and although have used hormonal methods in the past will not use them again.
    Hubby will be having a vasectomy in the near future, until then it would an immaculate conception anyway lol!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DH and I have been using it since DS was born. Not pregnant yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh good, thought I might get laughed at for asking! I wouldn't use it if I definitely didn't want more babies, or if I knew I couldn't cope with another pregnancy but I figure the odds would be very low especially with no AF at the moment.

Hmm, now will I do it or get all chicken :blush:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I didn't specifically use that method while breastfeeding, but have been using it for years with no problems. I can't be bothered with any other means of contraception.

And we are reasonably fertile given we conceived first try with my son, and second time with this pregnancy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes I used it effectively for a year after having each of my kids, then my period came back and we kept using it. I did fall pregnant three times unexpectedly using a combination of withdrawal method and knowing my cycle, but two of those times I knew I was fertile and my husband failed to 'withdraw', and the last time I got slack with knowing my cycle so no idea what happened there! I wouldn't use it now because we absolutely can't have more kids, but up until now, knowing the consequences wouldn't be dire, I think it's a pretty good method

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We always used withdrawal when breastfeeding. It was okay as long as I and he were both using it effectively.

We'd get slack though.. and we have 2 extra boys. lol

he's had a vasectomy now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We started using withdrawal method after DD was born, and I was breastfeeding. I did get a depo shot in January but put on a bit of weight so we are using the withdrawal method again till after our holiday in a month and then I will get the shot again. We DTD usually 4 or 5 times a week and I haven't fallen pregnant yet and DD is almost 2. There has been 'accidents' when we have forgotten but we have been lucky so far. It's very nerve wrecking though and I always get a bit scared that it will fail!