+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Up & Go for breakfast for a fussy eater?

DD has always been difficult with breakfast, now that she is about to hit 12 its almost impossible to get food into her in the mornings unless its watermelon It usually takes half an hour of nagging to get her to eat 3 spoons of cornflakes or all bran and she says her tummy hurts if she eats early..

She has just discovered she likes the Up & Go Vive. Im shocking at reading labels and wondering if I can believe their claim that its as good as 2 weetbix and milk?

I'm kind of torn as something is better than nothing, but it can't be good EVERY day right?

Her lunches are quite healthy..she takes 3 different fruits everyday (grapes, watermelon and apple) plus a yogurt, a piece of cheese (those little triangle thingys) and a chicken and cheese sandwich, as well as a water bottle (no juices/cordial)

But even so, she would be going until 11am on an empty tummy.

Am I setting up bad habits or should I continue the battle?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Would she like a smoothie then? You could choose what goes in it, surely that would be better and cheaper. I give DS Up&Gos now and then, so I have nothing against them in moderation, but I think a smoothie for your DD would perhaps be a better option if she seems to prefer a liquid breakfast.

Thanks
    Reviews
    She will drink a smoothie only if its banana and honey, I could probably alternate them? Maybe even throw in a spoon of sustagen powder for that bit extra?

Im feeling exceptionally fat today and she really got on my nerves this morning, thats how we found out she likes them.. I told her she wasnt going to school unless she had something so she grabbed the up and go out of desperation I love them.. I drink them just because so theres always some lying around!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post
    She will drink a smoothie only if its banana and honey, I could probably alternate them? Maybe even throw in a spoon of sustagen powder for that bit extra?

Im feeling exceptionally fat today and she really got on my nerves this morning, thats how we found out she likes them.. I told her she wasnt going to school unless she had something so she grabbed the up and go out of desperation I love them.. I drink them just because so theres always some lying around!
    I sometimes put Malted Milk drink powder in banana smoothies for DS, he loves them. He also likes Ovaltine. I think something is better than nothing (within reason), so I reckon just do what it takes. She could certainly do a lot worse than Up&Go drinks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh yum... malted milk!

I might need to go get some! For DD of course

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Im of the same line of thinking 'something is better than nothing' so if it's an up and go, so be it.

Maybe on the weekend you could make up a heap of different smoothies together and see what she likes? If she is involved in the process she might be more willing to try diff options?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Could it be the milk in the cereal causing her to have an upset tummy? My DS sometimes complains that his tummy hurts in the car on the way to school and, come to think of it, my tummy feels yuck if I have milk in the mornings. Milk is quite harsh on the stomach, especially first thing in the morning.

I'd be inclined to let her have her fruit in the mornings, maybe along with some type of yoghurt or something (I know, still dairy but doesn't seem to have the same effect on me in the morning). Maybe toast.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    When DD was around 3 years of age she went through a really difficult period of being extremely constipated all the time, and as a consequence getting her to eat anything was a real struggle as she always felt sick or full. We wound up taking her to a paediatrician at RCH in Melbourne who was of the view that Up and Go's were brilliant and saved a lot of parents a lot of battles over food. My daughter is fine now but still even now if my kids haven't eaten much during the day I'll top them up with one after dinner.

I'd also try other forms of milk I know a lot of kids complain of stomach pains from lactose. When we were kids and didn't eat breakfast mum would make an egg flip.

Recipe is:
    1 egg
    half litre full cream milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
    Blend until all has become smoothe with a frothy top
    Pour into a tall glass and liberally sprinkle with nutmeg.

They were yum!