+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Unhappy Dating scan today, saw a heartbeat - so why am I still worried?!

I had my dating scan today and according to my dates I am 6+3 weeks, however the sonographer said the measurements were "very small" and put me at 5+3 weeks. We DID see a heartbeat, although "slow" according to the sonographer who reassured me this was normal so early on and not necessarily a sign of impending miscarriage.

I am feeling extremely confused, not to mention anxious, as I am SURE of when my last period was, and when this little one was actually conceived - but it does not match the results/dates on the scan! I also know 5+3 weeks is very early to be able to detect a heartbeat (which makes me think I'm further along than the scan suggests).

I know I should just try and relax and go back in a few weeks for a re-scan, but I can't help feeling a little anxious (particularly with the words "very small" being used a few times by the sonographer during the scan!). So now of course I have jumped to the conclusion that something MUST be wrong. Should I just get over it and be thankful I saw a heartbeat?! Has anyone else had a similar experience? What was the outcome?

Thanks for letting me vent!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was put back a week at my first scan with DS, though it didn't match my dates. Perhaps you ovulated later than you thought? And as for the "very small" comment, maybe it was tr son's way of explaining how it may not be as old as you thought?

I was paranoid until my 12 week scan that something would happen, because we see that so many poor ladies suffer miscarriages.

I know it's easier said that done but try not to stress out about it too much xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Its completely natural to worry. At my first scan, 6+3weeks we had a fetal pole that measured the right size, and no heart beat detected. Back the NEXT week, where we had baby with heart beat, measuring 6+4 (should of been 7+3weeks). I then had a dating scan at 8+3 weeks which kept my dates which matched my dates from the second scan.

So I did 7 weeks twice. My due date moved from 29th October to the 4th November, finally setting on the 3rd Nov!

I didnt get the heart beat measurements though. Keep thinking positive!

I have my 12weeks scan next Monday and I am still nervous even though I have seen bubble 3 times!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't worry too much - I have been put forward a week, put back, put forward again! The baby is just at different stages of growing - a heartbeat is a fantastic sign!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my dating scan Saturday. Like you I was put back a week. By my calculations I should have been 7w+4d but they dated baby at 6w+4d. I knew exactly the date of my last period as we were trying to conceive. Dr said this was normal and not to worry as dates will more than likely change again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its totaly normal to worry before & after a scan esp if it didnt go the way you had imagined it to. My irst dating scan pretty much showed nothing and I stressed out for the whole next 10 days that there was nothing there or bubs had died. Got to the next scan and we saw a HB which made me feel better while I was in there but as soon as I got home I began to worry that something still had gone wrong as the first u/s was not what I was hoping.

Even before my u/s yesterday I was worrying about it all