+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD2 has just dropped her night feed at 17mths.

heeeeerekittykitty is offline My babies, my cats ....ahhhh , bliss !!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Cate!

My 1 year old dd isnt a big baby but she's still waking every three hours in the night for feeds ( she's formula fed )
    My 2 year old DS still wakes for one bottle of milk.

I don't know where to start re - weaning but I wanted to share my experience so you didn't feel alone!

I believe in the philosophy that if its bothering you greatly then try and wean gently with the help of a gentle type method and if it's not bothering you but your worried you " shouldn't " be feeding based on guidelines then stop worrying and rest assured your not the only one feeding an over six month old baby : shock horror : despite it feeling like no one but you is doing it !!

Xxoo

3. The Following User Says Thank You to heeeeerekittykitty For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (23-04-2012)

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumma Lee View Post
    don't feed him, he will cry for it but after a couple of days he will get the message. Our bodies don't need food overnight, he just wants to see you. He will adjust.
    Your body might not need food overnight but it's quite normal for an 8 mth old to need a feed (or even two or three) overnight.

Cate, just follow his lead, babies are usually pretty good at telling us what they need, I promise you it won't be like this forever
    Cheers

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What's the problem? Just do the night feed??

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

lupa is offline I love that I am apart of this club called motherhood
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Sure its very common for babies that age to be waking through the night for a feed, but it doesn't mean that it has to be that way. And you obviously would rather him sleep through. It sounds like he's doing very well nutrition wise, he's obviously gaining weight. Do you think he really needs that feed or is it just habit? You could try shrinking the feed over 5-7 days. Or even try a dreamfeed at 10pm, that way you know he can last till 6 (because he does 8 hours every night!) and you get an unbroken sleep. Then when you're ready you could shrink the dreamfeed or slowly bring it back 9.30pm... 8... 7pm. Also, if you want him to sleep through there's nothing wrong with that.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lupa For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (23-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My son is now 14mths. I didn't successfully wean him off the bottle till just after he turned 1. I tried several times to do the offer water instead, it wasn't until the 12mth mark when he ate more etc during the day that this approach worked. I think it was because he himself was ready to wean as when I did there were no tears, he'd have a few sips then happily go back to sleep. Yours is still young so it's probably ok to keep offering for now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I agree with Lupa. Many babies (not all) wake out of habit.If your child is healthy and can physically last a 8-12 hour period wihout a feed (which a lot can) then there's nothing wrong with aiming for an unbroken night of sleep. My 5 month old (breastfed) is a big boy and was sleeping 10-7am since 8 weeks and has been sleeping 7pm- 6/7am (with a dreamfeed at 10pm) since about 14 weeks. And he is a chubba and healthy baby.

There is nothing wrong at all with wanting unbroken sleep. Id personally hate to still be doing night feeds (I loooveeeee my sleepp... doesn't make me a bad mother).

Each baby is different though. If your bubba really does need an overnight feed this does not mean you or bubba have failed.

Some tips:
    - look at a dreamfeed
    - is bubba getting too much sleep in the day? (4 hours+)
    - is the wheat cereal causing problems for bubba?
    - when is the evening bottle/solids? There should be 1 - 1& 1/2 hours between these (time to allow some processing before giving the second course).

Good luck
    Last edited by VicPark; 23-04-2012 at 07:43.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

lupa  (23-04-2012)