+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Parents of ASD kids

What are some "oh dear" public moments, or things your kids have done in public that have made you want to offer an explanation to people that your child is on the spectrum?

Yesterday we were at the hospital for over 3 hours. During that time, dd spent half an hour counting her toes before we saw the nurse. She was given a glove by the nurse and spent over an hour blowing it up, putting it on her head, and walking around crowing and walking like a rooster. She was oblivious to the stares.

One other time in the shop, she was walking with her arms and legs being thrown around everywhere and as we turned a corner, we saw a kid with a walking frame. His mum told me to tell her not to throw off at him, and was quite rude about it. I explained to her that dd has autism, and often walks that way as a sensory thing, I apologise if it offends, but I will not tell her to stop as she is not throwing off at anyone and is not hurting anyone then said it would be nice if people were as accepting of invisible disabilities as they are of certain other ones.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Ds#1 jumps, like always...and/or sways dramatically if standing still... It looks like he is dancing or something and does this anywhere we go. He gets in everyones way as well, because he really has no clue about where he is compared to where the person walking past is. (always banging into things/walls or people) everyone gets soo annoyed when he gets in their way at the shops.

When ds#2 screams at strangers when they say hello to him. He isnt being rude, he is just terrified of you!! Please dont look at him like your thoroughly offended and hate him.

When people see ds#2 playing on my ipad, or with his dummy still. The alternative is him losing the plot because everything is too bright, too loud, too many people, and so on, and because he cant really feel his mouth/ face, he needs strong sensation just to feel ok! He will bite his tongue, blow violent raspepberries, chew on his fingers and generally scream if those things dont work. But the dummy helps, so Cut him some slack!!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

share a book  (17-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    LOL in brisbane yesterday, we were in an elevator in a car park with 2 maui ladies, myself, boyfriend and 5yr old DD. A couple with a young boy in a pram (maybe 8 months old?) got into the lift. DD said LOUDLY 'I want to pat him' and reached out to touch him.

Thankfully the people in the lift had good sense of humours lol. EMBARASSING! I was trying to explain to miss 5 that we dont 'pat' people, only animals lol

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LivinOnAPrayer For This Useful Post:

share a book  (25-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS1 hasn't had any major awkward moments that I can remember, but if we are in a playground or wherever there are other kids, he almost always manages to annoy someone really badly, ie he will do one thing to them (todays example, 'electric shocks' where you poke them in their sides), and the first one or two times it might be funny, but the next hundred times gets really really annoying and even though the other child is getting really angry with him, he doesn't realise, because the first time he did it, they liked it, and he does not recognise emotions and that the other person has now had enough.
    Usually I will tell him to stop it but he really doesn't believe me as "they like it", and soon after that I can tell that the other parents are thinking I have some naughty disobedient child that likes to harrass other children.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

share a book  (25-04-2012)

bambino is offline Autistic Today, My Genius Tomorrow
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS (ASD among other things) has a thing for people in wheelchairs.
    On numerous occassions he has asked why that man is in a wheelchair, and we explain that it's because his legs don't work properly anymore.
    A few times DS has gone up to a person in a wheelchair and politely says "I hope your legs feels better soon" or he offers to push them around!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bambino For This Useful Post:

share a book  (26-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    My DS1 hasn't had any major awkward moments that I can remember, but if we are in a playground or wherever there are other kids, he almost always manages to annoy someone really badly, ie he will do one thing to them (todays example, 'electric shocks' where you poke them in their sides), and the first one or two times it might be funny, but the next hundred times gets really really annoying and even though the other child is getting really angry with him, he doesn't realise, because the first time he did it, they liked it, and he does not recognise emotions and that the other person has now had enough.
    Usually I will tell him to stop it but he really doesn't believe me as "they like it", and soon after that I can tell that the other parents are thinking I have some naughty disobedient child that likes to harrass other children.
    Yep I hear you. You have just described my DS. Mine son will go on and on and on and on annoying a child. Even to the point the child is yelling and crying. My ds still thinks its funny.