+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Raspberry leaf tablets

I'm about to enter my 28th week of pregnancy and I've heard that around now is a good time to either start drinking raspberry leaf tea or taking the tablets. I just wondered if anyone had any comments regarding this or how you felt the raspberry leaf worked from personal experience? I would love to know. Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I started taking raspberry leaf tablets at around 30 weeks. I have no idea if it 'worked', but I had a drug free, intervention free, shortish natural labour. I don't think it can do any harm . I took the tablets over drinking tea, as I think you have to drink a heap of tea to equate to the tablets.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My ob recommended their use from 35 weeks but some health care providers allow it earlier. I started last time at 38 wks and whilst it didn't shorten my labour my after birth contractions were less and recovery was very quick.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have used it with all four of my pregnancies and now this one as well. I start with the tea around 28 weeks and slowly build up the dosage to include tablets morning and night.

I find that my braxtons hold for a lot longer after starting to take RLT and all of my labours have been quick, last two were 3 hours and 1 hours. I had heard horror stories about the afterpains getting worse with each baby, but the last two were pretty mild and I contribute that to the RLT doing it's job. It's also said to help promote milk production.

I have read that it takes two weeks to build up in your system to start making a difference, so the earlier you start it the better as the longer your uterus has to 'practice' the better! It will not start labour, nor dilate your cervix, it only helps to tone your uterus by strengthening the uterus itself through more consistent BH contractions.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum5 For This Useful Post:

Artful  (18-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used the tablets with my second pregnancy from about 30 weeks and had a drug free natural birth.
    Like a previous poster said, after pains are supposed to get worse with each pg, but I didn't need any pain relief afterwards which the midwives were surprised about. I put this down to the raspberry leaf tablets.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies for the information. Definitely sounds like they are worthwhile. I'm 28 weeks this week and will have a chat to my midwife when I have an appointment this week just to confirm it's ok for me to start on the tablets soon but it sounds like it should be.