+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Breast milk supply for 2 week old

Hi
    Is it normal for my breast to be engorged one day and then they go down and feels they are empty but milk still comes out. My boy was born a 9lb 12 & is now 10lb 14. I have been expressing once a day as my breast where very hard. Now they seem to not fill up very fast. He fed longer then usual last night and wasn't very satisfied. Any recommendations on higher milk supply and should I stop expressing? Please help I want to breast feed as long as I can

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I think ur doing great.
    Yes it is normal to be engorged one day and not the next so early on..

My advice is to stop expressing unless u really have to (in too much pain). It confuses the body and puts things out of whack. Demand feed (which can be as frequent as every two hours) and also feed to relieve urself if you need to (if ur boobs are engorged). In time your body will work out how much it needs to produce and adjust according to ur baby's needs.
    BF can be difficult at the start but becomes a breeze later. Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to brownsugar For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (17-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There's also a growth spurt around 2 weeks, so he might be trying to up your supply. Every time my boy had a growth spurt it felt like he was sucking me dry and I didn't have enough milk for a few days, then it's all good again.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jake's mum For This Useful Post:

mrswhitehouse  (17-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Are you feeding him long enough per side? The hind milk or second milk is fattier and fills then up versus quenching thirst like fore milk. Leave bub on boob till they pull away. Then swap to other boob. Then back again of you need to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's quite normal for young babies to cluster feed of an evening to build up your supply for the next day. My bubs fed for what seemed like hours on end every evening around the 2 week mark and then again around the 6-8 week mark where I think they have another growth spurt. As long as bubs is happy on the breast let him/her suck away as much as they need to at this age. They know what they're doing. My four month old still spends around 2 hours feeding of an evening now where all other feeds are down to around half an hour but I don't mind as she seems to be topping herself up for the evening because she then sleeps for 11 hours. Good luck. If you can get through the first 6-8 weeks things will start getting a whole lot easier for you.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kw1975 For This Useful Post:

mrswhitehouse  (17-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just wanted to add that I was also told baby can feed even every two hours so when mine wanted to feed hourly I was like huh!? Then I talked to more people who said it's normal. My DD is 5 months now and sone days she feeds every hour sometimes every 2/3. Just go with the flow, have confidence and trust your instincts

Baby wearing, co-sleeping, booby feeding mummy to one

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Etienne For This Useful Post:

MilkiCuddles  (17-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Etienne View Post
    I just wanted to add that I was also told baby can feed even every two hours so when mine wanted to feed hourly I was like huh!? Then I talked to more people who said it's normal. My DD is 5 months now and sone days she feeds every hour sometimes every 2/3. Just go with the flow, have confidence and trust your instincts

Baby wearing, co-sleeping, booby feeding mummy to one
    Agree. If bub wants to feed again half hour after finishing or even ten minutes later, feed. Watch bub, not the clock.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to lulululu For This Useful Post:

MilkiCuddles  (17-04-2012)