+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default *spin off* for those of you who are/have been on welfare.

Last edited by AndrewTheEmu; 05-07-2012 at 23:27.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Single parent. I am currently studying on a minute payment. I will be in paid employment next year on a decent wage. I have only been able to do this with a massive amount of family support. Without their support, I would have languished in poverty for a long time.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

AndrewTheEmu  (16-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When we were newly married we both worked for the same company and the company basically got shut down overnight by liquidaters so we applied for assistance but i applied to a previous temp job i had and was working again within weeks while my hubby started his own business.

Sent from my GT-P7320T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I went to uni from high school, got qualified and worked for a decade. DH worked in blue collar type jobs. Then 7 years ago my DH injured himself at work. He worked more low income jobs for a few years then decided he wanted to better himself and do IT. He spent 3 years getting IT certs at TAFE now has moved into a degree as most decent paying IT jobs need an undergrad. Throughout that time he has worked part time and studied full time. We don't get full benefits but get a bit of PP and FTB. When the kids are at school I will return 4-5 days a week. Dh will be qualified in a few years and paying good tax (of course he is paying tax now too).

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovejoypeace View Post
    When we were newly married we both worked for the same company and the company basically got shut down overnight by liquidaters so we applied for assistance but i applied to a previous temp job i had and was working again within weeks while my hubby started his own business.

Sent from my GT-P7320T using BubHub
    Ahh, yes. That situation totally sucks. My ex lost his job last year because of liquidation, right before pay day which the company didn't pay. he had to apply for welfare as well and it was two months before he found employment. I had to lend him money to tide him over.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Being a single parent.

Currently i am on my last few days of placement in aged care and hoping i can get employed where i am at otherwise i might find another coarse to study as i am limited in where i can work because i dont have the support around me and babysitters available so it really limits what hours i can do.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was kicked out of home at 16 and lived with my grandmother then my grandfather, I got looking for work allowance when I wasn't at home - then when I was older I was getting sickness allowance when I needed 3 months off work due to glandular, and then that was it until 6 years later with Dd getting FTB and rent assistance. DF claimed last January because his work was destroyed in the floods so he got the disaster relief payment for a month or so until he found another job

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I fell pregnant at 18. I was using protection at the time, but obviously doing something wrong.

Anyway, I had my daughter and needed to support her financially... my partner at the time (DD's father) was working, but I didn't live with him and he was really selfish with his money anyway and didn't spend it on DD. I spent the latter part of my pregnancy working for the dole to get Youth Allowance (I was studying when I fell pregnant). I applied for jobs while pregnant, but nobody was interested.

Then after she was born, I obviously got benefits. I had no intention to work at that stage because it wasn't something I was prepared to do with my daughter (put her in daycare). I was very much against daycare at that stage, especially for such a young baby.

Later I moved out with my ex (wasn't the ex then), and he worked 60 hours a week, and I wasn't working. DD was 2. I still wasn't prepared to put my child in care at that point, but it was impossible anyway - we lived very close to the city and we couldn't have afforded daycare. I also didn't have a car, and couldn't rely on my partner to take care of her while I worked - since he was working all the time himself. I mostly got FTB at that point, though some weeks I got parenting payment partnered (not much).

I then became single, and needed the money. I moved in with some room-mates and had to pay for everything I needed myself, and so I was pretty poor then.

Then when I met up with DP, I got a lessened amount because I became partnered. He was an apprentice so a low-income earner.

I've been looking for work on-and-off for a while, and worked part-time for a while but became sick and was unable to continue working.

I now get a small amount of FTB and will also get the childcare rebate soon because I am studying full-time while DP is working full-time.

I aim to be working full-time (hence my study) and on minimal, if any, benefits next year.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

breakthemould  (17-04-2012)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Im a full time carer to my two sons with special needs.

I cant put my youngest in daycare, and they have therapy appointments paed appointments all the time, not to mention the grueling therapy work i do at home with them every single day.

When they are all in school. I will try get some sort of job where im not relied upon heavily, and have flexable hours, probably something like a department store.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have always been employed, but seeing I get FTA or FTB, CCB and CCR I suppose I'm on middle income welfare. I've always accessed Medicare and bought scripts that are subsided when ever they've been prescribed, so again I suppose I'm using government support. My kids go to a public/state school and so on.

A very close friend couldn't have kids the 'normal' way, so took on permanent placement foster kids which required her to be a SAHM for a set period of time and her ex was earning a very good wage and this is what they really wanted to do. Her ex then committed some nasty crimes, so she became a single mother with no warning. She was then diagnosed with a debilitating illness and a preexisting illness further complicates her life but took a part time job anyhow. She left the job when her boss resigned and she then got a job closer to home. It now turns out her previous employer has been involved in some white collar crime and maybe her ex-biss as well and she's been called in to witness for the Fed's etc - it's been messy. So the past 8 years have been pretty horrible and her anxiety has got to a level where she developed some MI issues. No amount of welfare you pay this lady will very return her physical or mental health, but she has hung on by the skin of her nails to ensure her children do not end up back in the system. If anyone begrudges this lady a single red cent of welfare they can go f$&k themselves for all I care.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (17-04-2012),Ana Gram  (17-04-2012),HarvestMoon  (17-04-2012),Milly Molly Mandy  (17-04-2012),MissMuppet  (17-04-2012),shelle65  (17-04-2012)