+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default When should you tell your employer?

At what stage should you tell your employer that your pregnant?
    My situation is that I have just transferred to a new position to cover a 2 year maternity leave vacancy. I found out my first week on the job that I was pregnant. I feel I should let my employer know ASAP. (I am still going to be eligible for maternity leave as I have been with the company for 9 years.)
    Any opinions?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    If it was me, I would tell my immediate boss straight away. I just think it's courteous. You might need a few days off with sickness, appointments etc.

If your boss is understanding then I would tell them now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    I did not tell my workplace that I was pregnant until after the 12 week mark. I had already been through a miscarriage a few months earlier and was not sharing my news with many people until the 2nd trimester. I did not feel the need to tell my workplace any earlier. I managed to juggle any appointments I needed on my days off or came into work earlier so I could leave early if need be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I told my workplace ASAP ( to my immediate manager only) he told everyone and treated me like sh!t after that.

But it really depends on the workplace though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am lucky that my workplace is flexible with hours. However, so far i have managed to book all appointments after work or Saturdays. I thought it would be best to tell my immediate supervisor in case my MS gets worse and I need a few days off. I don't intend to tell anyone else till the 2nd trimester.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I work in HR and most people tell us between 12-16 weeks but some not until 20. 10 weeks before you plan to start leave is the latest.

If people are suspicious I find it's better to have it out in the open but it's personal choice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I waited until just after the 12 week mark and then told my employer.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using BubHub