Closed Thread
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    If it is American, then the "welfare" they receive over there is tiny compared to here. Not that anybody should be judged because of receiving welfare.

My favourite part is when it said people on welfare should not be allowed to vote

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSudgestionator View Post
    I don't agree with everything in that post. But I do agree the welfare system needs a complete overhaul.

I do believe welfare should be given out in the form of food stamps, rent cheques, clothes vouchers, electricity/gas cheques etc & therefore payable to the companies welfare clients have accounts with, SOLEY so that low lives can not sit at home smoking & drinking their payments up the wall while their children go unfed, unclothed & uneducated.

I don't agree with taking their right to vote away.

& I do think if they want 'money' to save, or 'luxuries' then they should get 'a job' of somesort.

Australia has one of the best proforming economies ATM, most people should be able to find A job of SOME sort to finance the extras they may want.
    I would suggest that we dn't buy into media stereotypes.

Perhaps also relise that people from all walks of life neglect their children sometimes and have drinking and substance abuse problems.

And once again, I know no one in this country that does not pay taxes, I also know of no one who desn't receive welfare. Let's break down the budget and see exactly how much goes on publicly visible "welfare" benifits and it's a very small part of the "welfare" budget.
    Last edited by sockstealingpoltergeist; 16-04-2012 at 22:04.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sockstealingpoltergeist For This Useful Post:

share a book  (17-04-2012),trishalishous  (16-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    Your right cutting payments won't help and will make them worse off but forcing them to work will help. Sometimes people just need a nudge and once they are forced to work they get in a routine and keep at it. While they are home giving them the opportunity to get schooling is great if they want to do that instead of working if they want to achieve a career.
    I know you're American so just want to let you know we had "work for the dole" here without success.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    How arrogant it is when the middle class think they fund all these things.
    Even more arrogant that many of these people are receiving payments themselves thru FTB and other middle class welfare. But bc it's called FTB and not Newstart it's somehow different. I'm past being shocked and actually think it's laughable now that they don't see the hypocrisy

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Benji  (16-04-2012),Deserama  (17-04-2012),Ishtyban  (16-04-2012),MilkingMaid  (17-04-2012),MissMuppet  (16-04-2012),share a book  (17-04-2012),Sindrii  (16-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sockstealingpoltergeist View Post
    I don't really have an ipad. That was a lie to seem cooler then I am.Soz
    But I do really have a big screen TV.

It's nice to see you too.
    I'm reading this thread on my new iPad I bought from my benefits while watching Revenge on my big screen LCD also bought by benefits.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    The thing is, not all people on welfare are on welfare because the never want to work and just bludge.

Sometimes it's because they've realised that they'll actually be financially WORSE OFF if they go back to work due to the high daycare fees and their lack of earning power to balance that out. Or they're students, studying fulltime in hopes of getting a job. SOME students may be fortune enough to find a job that works around their studies... others cannot, or have other commitments preventing them from doing that.

People are silly if they truly believe the government doesn't help them out. Have you ever got yourself a medicare rebate? Ever accepted the Baby Bonus? Ever used HECS or FEE-HELP? Ever taken a PBS medication? Etc etc.

The government helps out most people in some way or another... some just require MORE assistance at certain points in time.

There'll be some who live in a cycle of welfare, I'm sure of it, but these are not representative of everyone who is on welfare. My family probably recieved minimal support as I was growing up. I've used welfare myself, having fallen pregnant at 18, and then lived with my apprentice boyfriend who worked his backside off but we were still poor. Now I get a TINY bit, and we also get rebates for daycare too because he works full-time and I study full-time. My study will hopefully see me in full-time work in the following year, and DP will be a qualified tradesperson before the year's out and thus earning more yet... so hopefully we'll not be getting any real Centrelink payments, but we'll be under no illusions that the government isn't helping us out. We'll still be accessing Medicare-funded healthcare, will still be using the Child Care Rebate and will probably still get hte Baby Bonus/Paid Parental Leave when we decide to have another child.

ETA: We do have some sort of Work for the Dole system (or did? I don't know if it still exists or not)... I had to pick buttons off of old clothes in a big Lifeline shed and put them in jars for 12 hours a week (2x 6 hour days) when I was on Youth Allowance and pregnant... up until I was 34 weeks. That was crap and SO boring (as you can imagine... lol)... so if I had the option of paid employment, I would have taken it (I had a few interviews, but was honest about my pregnancy and nobody was willing to take on someone pregnant).
    Last edited by SassyMummy; 16-04-2012 at 22:01.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

delirium  (16-04-2012),Mrs Awesome  (17-04-2012),trishalishous  (16-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh gross. I think if I saw that on a friends status id type out 6 replies, delete each one, give up and ignore it but mentally note that person and I have very different understanding of the world. :-/

Sent from my X10i using BubHub

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (16-04-2012),share a book  (17-04-2012)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ItWasntMe View Post
    I'm reading this thread on my new iPad I bought from my benefits while watching Revenge on my big screen LCD also bought by benefits.
    Then you should prepare to receive lashings

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It's so sad that so many people cut and paste a status update without understanding exactly what it is they're saying

Even sadder that so many people blindly like or agree to a status update like this also without actually understanding what they are liking or agreeing with.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

babyla  (16-04-2012),MilkingMaid  (17-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The system is already huge and unwieldy, imagine how much more tax money it would absorb just administering it. The whole premise is rediculous anyway.

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast