Closed Thread
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You ask for opinions and you got them. Half of BH members (if not the majority) receives some kind of government support. If you have been around long enough and have spent time reading some controversial posts, you knew you were going to get blasted.
    If you want people to support this status, maybe join a forum where only the rich and righteous get to post.

I would have replied something like 'whatever young childless girl. I will talk to you when you're 35 with 3 kids and a prick of a husband you would love to kick to the curb, but you can't as that would submit you to all the above mentioned rubbish and ridicule'

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Misschief For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (17-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I don't I understnd why you even need to respond to this person's Facebook status?? And why come on here and ask us for our opinions and then tell us we're ignorant, bored or being antagonistic.

You received a lot of replies that supported your friend's comment, but more that didn't - sift through what you like and ignore what you don't and let us all move on so we can stop wasting our time on what I for one thought was an intelligent debate but has now turned ugly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The status update really is an offensive piece of claptrap with no redeeming features. It portrays people who receive government assistance as second class citizens who blow their money on junk food and ridiculous modifications to their cars. Most appallingly, it suggests that their basic human rights should be withdrawn if they are on benefits, eg. the right to vote or have children. Forced sterilisation of the poor? Disgusting.

And the remedy for these people if they don't like it is to "get a job". That's not necessarily achievable for everybody. The status update doesn't differentiate between different payments, but they could be on a disability support pension or a single parent payment with young children. Alternatively, they could be on newstart, and have significant barriers to employment. My partner is a job network psychologist, and he sees a lot of people who would be stereotypical Today Tonight esque dole bludgers, but when you dig deeper, there is mental illness, addiction, trust issues from abuse or bullying, personality disorders, all sorts of things that mean they need more assistance to find a job, not just a kick up the ar$e or military service.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

bookwormmum  (17-04-2012),CazHazKidz  (17-04-2012),share a book  (17-04-2012),shelle65  (17-04-2012),SpecialPatrolGroup  (17-04-2012),Stiflers Mom  (17-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe I am being overly cynical but I always get surprised that these topics become so controversial. The 'cut and paste' was so obviously ridiculous that it just needs to be ignored (in my opinion). It could only come from someone really young who has all the answers because she hasn't lived her life yet, although aren't you meant to be more idealistic when your young?? At least my friends and I were. Maybe the youth of today are changing.

Maybe I'm wrong though - you know the saying "the price of peace is eternal vigilance" or something like that? Maybe the price of a balanced society is eternal vigilance against blanket bigotry and bias and so even the ridiculous ideas need to be discussed.

Sorry I just realised this post is a bit wishy washy. I guess my opinion is that it is obviously ridiculous and not worthy of a second glance. HOWEVER I wouldnt 'defriend' someone (stupid facebook) who had a different opinion to me - I would just work very hard to change their opinion!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Artful For This Useful Post:

sockstealingpoltergeist  (17-04-2012)

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    Welfare is a vicious cycle and it needs to stop, people need a way to get off and raise their kids to not think its the only way to live. The problem is that to break the cycle the government will have to be tough. Welfare is easy for some it's easier to collect a check than to get up everyday and go to work.
    I'm quite interested - have you actually been in a situation of having to collect welfare payments just to be able to feed and clothe your kids? Or keep a roof over their heads? Have you experienced how 'hard' it is to break the cycle?

I've just walked out of a ten year relationship with the father of my 2 kids and have had no choice but to collect welfare payments due to being dragged through the court system, moved backwards and forwards between towns and being forced back to our home town meaning I had to pay rent in order to not be living on the streets or in a women's shelter - which incidentally we don't qualify for as the reason for leaving my relationship was mental abuse rather than physical abuse.

So tell me, because I have been ordered back to our previous town and may only be there for a few months meaning I can't exactly look for work, especially given that I have one child at school and can't afford day care for the youngest - in your opinion my kids should go without?

Being on welfare IS NOT easy at all. You try raising 2 young boys on less than $450 a week and tell me how easy you find it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to HugsBunny For This Useful Post:

GuestMember  (17-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunnyhugs View Post
    I'm quite interested - have you actually been in a situation of having to collect welfare payments just to be able to feed and clothe your kids? Or keep a roof over their heads? Have you experienced how 'hard' it is to break the cycle?

I've just walked out of a ten year relationship with the father of my 2 kids and have had no choice but to collect welfare payments due to being dragged through the court system, moved backwards and forwards between towns and being forced back to our home town meaning I had to pay rent in order to not be living on the streets or in a women's shelter - which incidentally we don't qualify for as the reason for leaving my relationship was mental abuse rather than physical abuse.

So tell me, because I have been ordered back to our previous town and may only be there for a few months meaning I can't exactly look for work, especially given that I have one child at school and can't afford day care for the youngest - in your opinion my kids should go without?

Being on welfare IS NOT easy at all. You try raising 2 young boys on less than $450 a week and tell me how easy you find it.
    what a cr@ppy thing to have to go through, and I'm sorry you have to come on here and justify your decisions for you and your boys. I hope you get some results through the courts very soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For what it's worth - I didnt think we used the term 'welfare' in Australia either. I am happy to be corrected but I thought that was an americanism with negative connotations (i.e. people talk about welfare state' and 'middle class welfare' when they want to be dismissive). No wonder people who are studying/supporting children etc get a bit upset being told that they 'are on welfare'. I never considered myself on welfare when I was studying. Isn't it government assistance?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    I agree it needs to be broken.
    But not by cutting payments and making them live in worse conditions then they already do or denying them everything we think they should not have.

Encouage them and start at school. Get these kids into apprenticeships before they drop out. Take them to unis and get them to speak about what they want to achieve. Make it possible for them. That should be compulsory in school.
    Once they believe in themselves it's easier to encourage them to reach their goals. But putting them down doesn't work. Forcing them to clean toilets or other such work will only enforce the view that, that's all they can achieve.
    I found this funny coz I work in one of the poorest areas in Perth where somehow these families can afford more than 4 kids, drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, hungry jacks for dinner but can't send their kids to school with pencils, text books, lunch, uniforms, washed or to school at all. They expect it to be provided by the school and so do the kids.

These kids don't break the poverty cycle, they become tomorrows parents. We strive as educators to lead them to more satisfying life choices but in most cases it's next to impossible.

I do believe we are too lenient when it comes to welfare especially when there is child neglect involved.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to hopefully2 For This Useful Post:

SarahTamar  (17-04-2012)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunnyhugs View Post

to you and your kids hun. Please don't let these responses make you feel that you need to defend your self or how you are supporting your family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    In her defence, though, shows like TT and ACA don't help anyone to really understand.
    Lol, agreed! However, if you're openly going to criticize the residents and government of a country you can't proudly call your own, maybe start living there first. Otherwise don't bother. I have plenty of problems with the way the US government runs their welfare system, but I won't be openly attacking it because I can't even imagine what its like to live on their welfare system.
    I just go by 'hearsay' and not by solid experience.