Closed Thread
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Its so funny to me as welfare is small...

Tax cheats in the top incomes is serious money and is openly discussed in some circles...

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ishtyban For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (17-04-2012),Benji  (17-04-2012),BH-KatiesMum  (17-04-2012),MilkingMaid  (17-04-2012),shelle65  (17-04-2012),Stiflers Mom  (17-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Tax is a debt between the income earner or consumer and the ATO.

Once the tax debt is paid the money is consolidated revenue and belongs to the whole of Australia and Australians.

My tax dollars are my debt to the system. Once paid they are NOT my tax dollars, any more than my wage is my employers or my welfare benefits is the governments.

If we didn't support peope at their most vunerable what does that say about us, one of the wealthiest nations in the world. We already have a shocking horrible record Third World conditions in parts of this country.

I alm deeply saddened that in this age of knowledge and education that so many people have little or no understanding of poverty cycles. I love the simplistic answer of get a job,without any shred of understanding how near impossible that is for so many people. I'm also so deeply saddened that the simplistic 'answers' come from people who are in a privilege position that actually allows them to have access to references that would educate them as to the intricate complexity and difficulties that many people who are stuck in the position of being unemployed and on support.

There is a huge movement away from the punitive punishment policies of previous generations and yet so many people in a position of priviledge with an education still want to punish people who are vunerable. Our current system is not perfect yet the system offered by the post quoted in the op smacks of a dictatorship type regime and is not an answer but rather a liturgy of punitive measures designed to make people buckle down.

I'm tired, I think I'll go home now.

4. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

Ana Gram  (17-04-2012),babyla  (17-04-2012),Benji  (17-04-2012),Busy-Bee  (17-04-2012),Deserama  (17-04-2012),MilkingMaid  (17-04-2012),MissMuppet  (17-04-2012),Rutabaga  (17-04-2012),shelle65  (17-04-2012),sockstealingpoltergeist  (17-04-2012),Sonja  (17-04-2012),trishalishous  (17-04-2012),twotrunks  (17-04-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BerylsMum View Post
    LovemyFam I have a few questions..

what is your appearance? are you pretty? are your teeth good?
    Did you have access to good clothes to attend the interviews?
    money for transport?
    access to a computer, printer, phone to call jobs?
    how is your level of education?
    do you have good references?
    can you read and write well?
    did you finish school?
    did you have access to a phone for employers to contact you?
    do you have a car?

Just a few things as its such a broad statement, I found it so easy so everyone should.
    DHs answers for those questions:
    Attractive and very presentable
    Excellent wardrobe
    Own, reliable car
    Computer/printer/phone at home
    University educated
    excellent reference
    excellent language skills (in 3 languages)
    And still looked for 7 months to find a job (that wasnt FIFO) before returning to study.
    He was over qualified for every position, and everyone was worried he would get 'bored'
    We were lucky enough to afford the break!
    Now hes starting his own business in a different field (was in mining now is in sustainability) and thankfully we dont need to work or receive students/parents allowance (though we get FTB/CCB/BB welfare)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSudgestionator View Post
    Why will some people never achieve these things?
    I can reply in the case of my mother.

She was with my father for all her married life (from 20 onwards). He did not want her to work, and supported us all. It was common for the RAAF families we knew. Mum did do family day care, but that was mere pocket money for her.

Anyway, she split with him when I was about 14... they had just purchased their first home, but it was sold in the split. He gave all profits they made to her instead of paying child support for a while... the profit they may was minimal anyway, only a few thousand.

She's now working full-time in a government admin job. There is no way in hell she will ever afford to buy her own home. She simply does not earn enough. Not many one-income families will unless that one income is a high one.

Given her children are adults now, she is also not entitled to any assistance in that area. She does not have a Centrelink account, because she does not recieve any regular assistance from them. She is not entitled to.

She as been single for over 12 years... unless she somehow lands herself a man she likes and marries him (she doesn't want this, so it's unlikely), and they get a house together... she is unlikely to ever own, or part-own, a home of her own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In defence of Lovemyfam it would appear that the 16 hour a day job was temporary and I for one have known people work these types of shifts for short periods when they needed extra cash.

What she mentioned about her jobs and hours is not all that unusual and the money for that amount of hours isn't that high.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BerylsMum View Post
    Its so funny to me as welfare is small...Tax cheats in the top incomes is serious money and is openly discussed in some circles...
    Yes. Just reading abouth the ones the ATO catch makes you realize that some people get away, or try to get away, with more than a 'dole bludger' will ever dream of.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Louellyn I agree but a lot of people don't have the benefit of one parent being able to stay home and look after the kids while the other works those hours, therefore putting that sort of money out of people's reach. Once child care costs are factored in, as you point out, it's not a lot of money which would be eaten away very quickly by child care.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I find many welfare cheats are middle class families with a husband earning enough money to support the family but she applies for SPP. I've known about a dozen families, all making good money that have done this. The money went into buying new cars, furniture and holidays.

When you think about it, how can most low income people be cheating the system? by definition little to no salary automatically qualifies you to receive payments, rent assistance etc. Really the only way to cheat is to lie about earnings, and CL catch up with you at tax time anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Louellyn I agree but a lot of people don't have the benefit of one parent being able to stay home and look after the kids while the other works those hours, therefore putting that sort of money out of people's reach. Once child care costs are factored in, as you point out, it's not a lot of money which would be eaten away very quickly by child care.
    I am not agreeing with Lovemyfam's posts, just defending the comments she made about a 16 hour job in light of the responses she got.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I find many welfare cheats are middle class families with a husband earning enough money to support the family but she applies for SPP. I've known about a dozen families, all making good money that have done this. The money went into buying new cars, furniture and holidays.

When you think about it, how can most low income people be cheating the system? by definition little to no salary automatically qualifies you to receive payments, rent assistance etc. Really the only way to cheat is to lie about earnings, and CL catch up with you at tax time anyway.
    I know that this will not be remembered by many posters but a great example of high income earners getting Centrelink was when Alan Bond's daughter received Austudy (as it was called then).

Just like with tax there are many loopholes when you earn a high income but many nets to catch those few low income earners who fall through the cracks.