Closed Thread
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BerylsMum View Post
    I think people fail to realise just how much of their life is subsidised with tax money. You are not free!

Education
    university
    Health
    school transport
    prescription and other meds
    emergency services
    armed forces
    Roads and train lines

The list goes on and on. And you all use it.
    So why are you attacking welfare? Yours is a tiny little bit of money. You do not own it.
    It is paid to keep you in a job and keep our country going.
    You are lucky enough to afford a mortgage, something that some people will never do.
    Why will some people never achieve these things?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    This is why I am not on Facebook. I was for about 2 weeks but people posting stuff like this made me like them a little bit (or a lot) less and I felt I was sometimes better off not knowing.

As for welfare, DH and I get nothing (no baby bonus, FTB, gov't maternity leave) except for CCB which I believe benefits the child care centers (or was intended to) but I don't begrudge a penny of my taxes being used for welfare. As Ghandi said, a nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members. Without dignity, independence and free will in how those people make their decisions, we cannot call ourselves a society. I do not want my children growing up thinking that a person's worth is measured by how much money they earn. It makes as much sense to me as judging by skin colour or whether they have straight or curly hair.
    Last edited by Sonja; 16-04-2012 at 22:43.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Ana Gram  (16-04-2012),delirium  (16-04-2012),MissMuppet  (17-04-2012),share a book  (17-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSudgestionator View Post
    Because some people cannot earn enough to get a deposit for a mortgage in the current market.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ishtyban For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (17-04-2012),Sonja  (16-04-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    depending on who it was I would just delete.
    I have one friend who posts similar crap, but shes led a very sheltered life, and hasnt had a great deal of education or life experience, yet is a lovely person and has been there for me when I needed her.
    So I have her on a FB filter.
    most other people I would delete. DHs uncle posted a homophobic update the other day and I had a lively 'discussion' with him

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    The reasons are so complex. lack of education therefore minimum wage. Illness, disability. Mental health issues, addiction. Living in the country where high paying jobs are scarce. Previous debt. Bad luck. Being single (many banks want duel income). I could go on....

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (17-04-2012),share a book  (17-04-2012),Sonja  (16-04-2012)

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I know I am unlikely to ever have a mortgage. I will be nearing 40 by the time I am back in employment and will have a single income.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (16-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    DP will be paying quite a bit in tax this year too Beryl... but just because we've got a bit now, doesn't mean it'll always be the case, and it certainly wasn't the case for us at first.

Sometimes people rely on welfare for a while while they're working towards something bigger. They don't deserve to be punished for aiming high. Sometimes it's aim high, work hair and rely on welfare to get your through for a bit... or settle for a dead-end job that earns just enough that you're not on welfare for eternity. I think encouraging the former is more productive than encouraging the latter...
    This is what it intended for a helping hand but seems its hard to get out of for some and some just don't want too Some use it as intended and move onto bigger and better things

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntyamber View Post
    I also agree that those in government housing should have to keep it up to a decent standard and have regular inspections (just like everyone else)
    So are we different to everyone else coz of housing? Not my fault i dont have 3mthly inspections. Heck, its not my fault i am waiting for one to be reorganised from end of feb but we shall just blame the tenants of housing coz we are different to everyone else. Its like we are lower class than those who arent in housing with what your saying.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Myztiks#1Fan For This Useful Post:

share a book  (17-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't agree with everything in that post. But I do agree the welfare system needs a complete overhaul.

I do believe welfare should be given out in the form of food stamps, rent cheques, clothes vouchers, electricity/gas cheques etc & therefore payable to the companies welfare clients have accounts with, SOLEY so that low lives can not sit at home smoking & drinking their payments up the wall while their children go unfed, unclothed & uneducated.

I don't agree with taking their right to vote away.

& I do think if they want 'money' to save, or 'luxuries' then they should get 'a job' of somesort.

Australia has one of the best proforming economies ATM, most people should be able to find A job of SOME sort to finance the extras they may want.
    Well said Australia is a great place to live within a very short period of time after my work ban was lifted, I think 2-3 weeks I had 3 jobs making 1860 a week working 16 hours a day 1 job was just to far so I quit that one and one the hours got cut back now that the holidays are over but it was so easy here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I know you're American so just want to let you know we had "work for the dole" here without success.
    Do you know why?