+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 18 week morphology scan

Hi everyone,
    I had my morphology scan last week and all was well that we could see and the doctor also said all was
    Fine all measurements were to be expected and my due date remains the same, I picked up my scan results
    2 days later, opened it up to read as we were told all is well and normal ... However when flicking through the actual pictures I have seen one
    Of the slides and part if it says "nuch fold 6.37mm"
    Should I be concerned??
    DH and i decided not to do the NT test as we are not at any risk and there is no history on either side of downs... I just freaked when I saw this :|

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If they told you it was fine? Then why doubt it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just letting you know that except for translocation Down syndrome, which is quite uncommon (I think around 2-3% of Ds cases are translocation), there is no family history. It is not something which is hereditary.

Bur in reply to your actual question, I don't really know much about the measurements of the nuchal fold, but I image, as the pp has said, that if you were told all was ok, it probably is. Worth asking about at your next appointment though.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My understanding is that anything above 6mm indicates an increased risk. Worth asking your doctor

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    My understanding is that anything above 6mm indicates an increased risk. Worth asking your doctor
    this is at 12 weeks, not 18. There is much more variation in NT measurements at 18 weeks, (and the baby is a lot bigger!) and so i would not be worried. ALl measurements would have been looked at again after your scan, and you would be contacted if anything was identified as concerning.

It is worth asking your dr/midwife next appointment just so that you are not left with unanswered questions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles10 View Post
    this is at 12 weeks, not 18.
    No, the measurement of 6mm applies to the 18 week scan.
    http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/518149_3

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pretty sure they say that scans at 18weeks can't give proper suggestion of DS with only the nuchal folds. Only 12week ones are reliable. They would've looked at the nose structure and spine aswell. Ask your doc if you like but you shouldn't need to worry. If they were worried about something coming up abnormal they would've told you they wanted another scan and further testing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    No, the measurement of 6mm applies to the 18 week scan.
    http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/518149_3
    your link doesn't work, what is the article you are referring to?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry, I'm on my phone. Google 18 week nuchal fold and you'll see many references to 6mm.

ETA It's hard to find links that aren't to other patenting sites, will look again when I'm on my computer. Bear in mind that the test done at 12 weeks is the nuchal translucency, which measures an entirely different thing to the nuchal fold test.
    Last edited by lambjam; 17-04-2012 at 09:37.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for the positive responses, I didn't really investigate or think into it before my freak out or my post on here.
    But spine and nose were fine as was everything else - and the "nuch fold" was not even mentioned on the actual report is just listed in one of the images??
    I'm assuming if it was worth mentioning it would be stated in the actual report?
    I have my antenatal appointment next week and will be def bringing it up