+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BerylsMum View Post
    Ohhh sorry ..my comment was not aimed at anyone in the thread and more of a passing comment.

I hope it didnt offend.
    No - not directed at anyone. Just a thought I had.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Im pro breastfeeding and most women i know bf until bub is 10-16 months of age.

That being said (and sorry if this offends but it is my personal opinion): The thought of having a school aged child suckle his/her mothers breast makes my skin crawl. At that age, I'd have concerns with the parent/child
    Situation. I'd be worried about the mother: that she's breast feeding her child because she can't cope with that child growing up. God help that child dealing with their mother when they are older. Same with having grandparents bf babies, that gives me the heeby geebies. As for the WHO guidelines: they have to be applicable for the entire globe, not just wealthy western nations. The 4.5 age is mainly for kids in impoverished nations where there isn't much nutritional food to go around.
    Sorry if it offends but i dont believe the question was what age do you think is normal, healthy and natural for a human infant to consume human milk? ( please correct me if I am wrong)

I'd be seriously worried about any mother who is judging another based on NO proven reason why judgement is necessary ( again, if you can show proof that extended breast feeding in any way HURTS a human offspring then by all means correct my wrongness and judge away)

The who guidelines are applicable to ANY nursing mother who choses to follow them, I see no alternatives which stipulate certain environmental factors determining their guidelines

The question simply was what is the oldest YOU personally know a child has breastfed til,

You didn't even answer the question ...

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GuestMember For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (18-04-2012),giggle berry  (18-04-2012),MilkiCuddles  (17-04-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (17-04-2012),misskittyfantastico  (17-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What a wonderful thread, let's not ruin it with arguments I'm so sad for last couple of days because I took antihistamine and it drained out my milk. Breastfeeding has been a beautiful thing to me and I'll do it as long as DS still wants it.

PS. The oldest I know is 4 yo and there were a lot of pressure from family, friends on the mother to stop bf.
    Last edited by lovesushi; 17-04-2012 at 22:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    I think some are being a smidge harsh on VicPark. It's rare in our society to see women feeding older children and before I had kids I would have expressed the same sentiments and I did!

I've changed my opinions due to my experiences. Just sayin'
    I apologise unreservedly if i came across as harsh. Its a sensitive topic to me and that probably came across in my post as anger.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmi View Post
    Sorry if it offends but i dont believe the question was what age do you think is normal, healthy and natural for a human infant to consume human milk? ( please correct me if I am wrong)

I'd be seriously worried about any mother who is judging another based on NO proven reason why judgement is necessary ( again, if you can show proof that extended breast feeding in any way HURTS a human offspring then by all means correct my wrongness and judge away)

The who guidelines are applicable to ANY nursing mother who choses to follow them, I see no alternatives which stipulate certain environmental factors determining their guidelines

The question simply was what is the oldest YOU personally know a child has breastfed til,

You didn't even answer the question ...

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub
    I answered the question (16 months). Everyone else was ad-libbing with extra input... I had no idea that you were only allowed to do this if you had a certain pre-approved viewpoint....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GothChick View Post
    Wasn't having a dig...she was just an odd lady who gave off a very weird vibe to me.
    Yes, although it would be beneficial to the kids in some way, it seemed an unhealthy obsession for the mother.

OP I know one who went to 7, her brothers were all 4 or 5 when they weaned. I know lots who bf to 4, and most people I know bf til between 2 and 3. It is more common in my circle to bf to 3+ than wean under 1.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    It is about putting your child first, which I can appreciate is difficult for some.
    . Really... ?So unless someone is 'pro breastfeeding school age children' they find it difficult to put their child first? And 1+1=4

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by babybabycakes View Post
    I apologise unreservedly if i came across as harsh. Its a sensitive topic to me and that probably came across in my post as anger.
    Don't worry, I wasn't offended, you were polite enough... To clarify: my view related to school aged children not toddlers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Don't worry, I wasn't offended, you were polite enough... To clarify: my view related to school aged children not toddlers.
    Glad i didnt offend. To clarify my feelings on the matter -If DS is school aged when he weans (he didnt want to cut down to 3 feeds and would still happily feed more on demand) i would be happy to feed until he decides to wean. (barring the constant battle with the people around me who disagree). Its not just nutrition that they get, but a lot of emotional benefits too.

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Lolz83 - A childs immune system is not fully developed until around 7 years of age, so yes, continually getting the goodies via bm is very beneficial, especially if they have any health issues.

My second son weaned at 5 and a half years, and it was quite amazing the amount of sicknesses he picked up in the 6 months after weaning, I'm sure the two were related, it was so sudden.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

babybabycakes  (18-04-2012),Etienne  (18-04-2012)