+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Im pro breastfeeding and most women i know bf until bub is 10-16 months of age.

That being said (and sorry if this offends but it is my personal opinion): The thought of having a school aged child suckle his/her mothers breast makes my skin crawl. At that age, I'd have concerns with the parent/child
    Situation. I'd be worried about the mother: that she's breast feeding her child because she can't cope with that child growing up. God help that child dealing with their mother when they are older. Same with having grandparents bf babies, that gives me the heeby geebies. As for the WHO guidelines: they have to be applicable for the entire globe, not just wealthy western nations. The 4.5 age is mainly for kids in impoverished nations where there isn't much nutritional food to go around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post

That being said (and sorry if this offends but it is my personal opinion): The thought of having a school aged child suckle his/her mothers breast makes my skin crawl. At that age, I'd have concerns with the parent/child
    Situation. I'd be worried about the mother: that she's breast feeding her child because she can't cope with that child growing up. God help that child dealing with their mother when they are older. As for the WHO guidelines: they have to be applicable for the entire globe, not just wealthy western nations. The 4.5 age is mainly for kids in impoverished nations where there isn't much nutritional food to go around.
    If it worries you, you don't have to do it

I fed my son until nearly three but I know women who have fed to 5+ years. They didn't/don't need anyone to worry about them.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (18-04-2012),jacobsmamma  (18-04-2012),MilkingMaid  (18-04-2012),RobinSparkles  (19-04-2012),Witwicky  (18-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    It's a cultural thing that the eldest grandchild is given to the grandparents. She relactated to feed her. Then when the daughter was ready to return to work after having her second, MIL did the day feeds for the second granddaughter. They have a strong communal BFing culture, the younger granddaughter has fed one of my kids when I couldn't be bothered going home to get more formula.
    Oh wow!! Thank you for enlightening me! And how timely, I am studying cultural awareness this week for my middie degree. I live in an undiverse world as far as different cultures go, I had never heard of such a custom!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post

Situation. I'd be worried about the mother: that she's breast feeding her child because she can't cope with that child growing up. God help that child dealing with their mother when they are older. Same with having grandparents bf babies, that gives me the heeby geebies. As for the WHO guidelines: they have to be applicable for the entire globe, not just wealthy western nations. The 4.5 age is mainly for kids in impoverished nations where there isn't much nutritional food to go around.
    . This attitude makes me sad. I get this from everyone around me and my son is only 2.5. Even though my husband can see the benefits of feeding ( only way to get ds to sleep during the day, calming him down, healing his hurts, or keeping him alive as he has suffered oral aversions to food and post viral anorexia failing to thrive etc) he still questions why i havnt weaned. its so ingrained in our culture to thimk breastfeeding to term is wrong or gross or for the mums benefit, or cos she cant let ner kids grow up. Its js doing the best for our kidsin the most natural way we can.

That being said i personally only know one person who has fed
    Ast 12 months and thats me ( ds is 2 1/2 and still feeding 3 times a day.) I find that a sad statistic.
    Last edited by babybabycakes; 17-04-2012 at 22:17. Reason: Please excuse spelling. On my phone

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to babybabycakes For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (18-04-2012),giggle berry  (18-04-2012),jacobsmamma  (18-04-2012),MilkingMaid  (18-04-2012),RobinSparkles  (19-04-2012),Witwicky  (18-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I t never ceases to amaze me that, a child drinking milk from its mum is gross..
    but drinking milk from a random cow is not..

8. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Ishtyban For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (17-04-2012),babybabycakes  (17-04-2012),BluePixie  (18-04-2012),Etienne  (18-04-2012),giggle berry  (18-04-2012),jacobsmamma  (18-04-2012),MilkingMaid  (18-04-2012),RobinSparkles  (19-04-2012),share a book  (17-04-2012),Sindrii  (18-04-2012),smallpotatoes  (20-04-2012),Stiflers Mom  (18-04-2012),threechooks  (18-04-2012),Witwicky  (18-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ElizaDoLittle View Post
    Oh wow!! Thank you for enlightening me! And how timely, I am studying cultural awareness this week for my middie degree. I live in an undiverse world as far as different cultures go, I had never heard of such a custom!
    Just came back to this thread and I know how off track I am getting.... But I CANNOT imagine given up my firstborn child, even to my mum. But my MIL?! Wow. Hells no!
    Or have i read that wrong? Is that what happened?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I fed Beryl till she was over 2. I was so sad when she self weaned.
    It was such a beautiful time.

Quote Originally Posted by babybabycakes View Post
    . This attitude makes me sad. I get this from everyone around me and my son is only 2.5. Even though my husband can see the benefits of feeding ( only way to get ds to sleep during the day, calming him down, healing his hurts, or keeping him alive as he has suffered oral aversions to food and post viral anorexia failing to thrive etc) he still questions why i havnt weaned. its so ingrained in our culture to thimk breastfeeding to term is wrong or gross or for the mums benefit, or cos she cant let ner kids grow up. Its js doing the best for our kidsin the most natural way we can.

That being said i personally only know one person who has fed
    Ast 12 months and thats me ( ds is 2 1/2 and still feeding 3 times a day.) I find that a sad statistic.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ishtyban For This Useful Post:

babybabycakes  (17-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am opened minded about most things but am somewhat confused (please enlighten me, I don't mean to offend!). Is there a real benefit in bf children passed 2 years old? I know it contains lots of nutrients, antibodies and other goodies but shouldn't children by the age of 2 be getting this from solid food? I know you don't solely bf at this age but just want to know if there is any added benefit to continual bf'ing? I can understand in 3rd world countries but not so much where food supplies are adequate and available. Does anyone have any links? I would be interested in reading up more on this.

I personally would be a little disturbed if my child at 7 or so was actively asking for the breast. At this age I honestly can't understand how it offers anymore or better nutrition then a healthy balanced diet.

On a side comical note it reminds me of 'Little Britain' where the adult guy was asking for bittie

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I think some are being a smidge harsh on VicPark. It's rare in our society to see women feeding older children and before I had kids I would have expressed the same sentiments and I did!

I've changed my opinions due to my experiences. Just sayin'

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

babybabycakes  (17-04-2012),giggle berry  (18-04-2012),Ishtyban  (17-04-2012),Witwicky  (18-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ohhh sorry ..my comment was not aimed at anyone in the thread and more of a passing comment.

I hope it didnt offend.