+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lulululu View Post
    I'm feeding a 20 mo. (not right this second, but probably in about 4 hours, 5 if I'm lucky, 6 if I'm REALLY lucky!) I don't personally know anyone who has fed a 20 mo so I guess the oldest bf person I know is my son. I'm getting quite a bit of pressure to stop, mainly from my mum.
    You're amazing it's hard not to listen to that pressure and it sure does get you down but you need to remember that it's between you and your son, no one else

Great thread. Before I had DS, the oldest BF person was my cousin, 11 months. I've since broken that record!!

The longer I feed though, the more people I meet who have fed for much longer. I found out yesterday that a lady at work fed until just over 2 years so I will no doubt be seeking her out for advice!! (And bubhub of course!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Pink-Hen View Post
    I watched it too. I didn't get that feeling. I gathered it was mainly the girls who were demanding not the mum's desire iykwim

The doco was called from memory extended bf.
    Ah i'll have to go watch the one someone linked earlier, I wonder if it's the same one I watched...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Again, thanks for all the interest on this thread. I really had no idea it was so common to feed past 3, 4...9 years!

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by captainscaptain View Post
    Again, thanks for all the interest on this thread. I really had no idea it was so common to feed past 3, 4...9 years!
    It really is amazing how the more it's talked about, the more it is normalised, the more people feel comfortable doing it, and sharing about it. Can only be a good thing

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

captainscaptain  (19-04-2012),giggle berry  (19-04-2012),GothChick  (19-04-2012),jacobsmamma  (19-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I breastfed both my boys to around 3-3.5 and love that I was able to do that, it was just a natural thing, we slowed down as they got older and stopped when they were ready. My youngest is 5 and is still cuddly and smooshy, he had to be gently persuaded to stop he is such a cuddler. I don't personally know anyone older than that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm BFing a 22 month old and that is the oldest I know so me I guess! Ever since DD was born and I would go to my nan and pops house they would ask me 'still breastfeeding?' and I would say yes and they would tell me how wonderful that is and that their next door neighbour fed her little boy till he was 6. So I always thought they were supportive, but last time I was there and said yes to the 'still breastfeeding' question my nan said 'oh dear you are going to have to stop that!' so I guess it's all of a sudden weird now. I don't know anyone who has BF much past 1 or is supportive of it except my mum and DH, thank god for them. I really wanted DD weaned by the time she was 2, and I have been worrying lately that she won't be and that DH will think its 'gross' that she is still feeding (coz his family will tell him it is!) but he said to me 'it's such a big comfort for her, how come no one makes a big deal about when a baby gives up its bottle? It's the same thing. If she still needs it for comfort then we can't take that off her just yet'

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Just*Ace For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (19-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Pink-Hen View Post
    I watched it too. I didn't get that feeling. I gathered it was mainly the girls who were demanding not the mum's desire iykwim
    Watched this on youtube yesterday (Extraordinary Breastfeeding). Great doco. I didn't get the feeling that it was for the mother's benefit either!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Just*Ace View Post
    I really wanted DD weaned by the time she was 2, and I have been worrying lately that she won't be and that DH will think its 'gross' that she is still feeding (coz his family will tell him it is!) but he said to me 'it's such a big comfort for her, how come no one makes a big deal about when a baby gives up its bottle? It's the same thing. If she still needs it for comfort then we can't take that off her just yet'
    Thanx for this. I never thought to compare BFing to a bottle which some kids have easily when they are over two without any question from anyone... I must use this analogy in future

I'm currently BFing my 18 month old and am starting to feel very self conscious about it as DS is 90cm so quite tall... I was thrilled to make it to 12 months which was my goal and the goal of most BFing mums I know... But it's just so easy and so comforting for ds that I'm going for the 2 year a mark and then will reassess things...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Just*Ace View Post
    'it's such a big comfort for her, how come no one makes a big deal about when a baby gives up its bottle? It's the same thing. If she still needs it for comfort then we can't take that off her just yet'
    Never thought of it like that, brilliant!

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Just going to remind people to not bring personal attacks on others.

Curious question - what is regarded as extended feeding?

I fed my son till about 18months - he self weaned at this point - and I wonder if he stopped liking the taste when I got pregnant and I fed my daughter beyond 2 - but never thought of either of them being "extended feeding".

I'm curious as I've never actually discussed how long any of my friends breastfed their babies - it never came up in conversation and I was never interested in it.

Another FYI - from a developmental point of view - the sucking reflex which is present in all mammals from birth is gone by about 3-4months as this is when it becomes a voluntary motor function - the muscles are well developed by this time - so anyone thinking breastfeeding beyond 4months is anything to do with helping integrate a primitive reflex (which occurs when a baby is bottle fed too) is misinformed.