+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How did you go getting your kids into daycare?

Im thinking of putting my 17month old DD in daycare. 1 day a week to start then maybe 2. But obviously we are attachment parents. I still half the time nurse my DD to sleep. If not she has a certain type of music on and we can rock her to sleep. But shes so attached to us, and i know she wont like us leaving her with strangers, she will be miserable. She prob wont be able to get to sleep with strangers cuz she cant have her usual daytime sleep routine. How did your daycare handle your type of parenting and the needs of your child? Ive heard too many horror stories of daycares letting your child cry, and not following your specific routine. Tell me your experiences, did anything help them transition into daycare easier?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found this a difficult time too. If you can, find a good centre with excellent carers who will stick to your routine, and with low staff turnover. Relatinship with carer is very important. There will probably be a bit of crying at the beginning due to separation, but that probably can't be avoided and frankly, is probably ok for your child, although it is heartbreaking for the parent- in that situation, I found that my lingering at drop-off made it worse. Instead, I enjoyed some time with them at day care in the afternoon so when we all left there for the day, it was a positive experience. So, my tip is a quick drop off- otherwise your child could be very distraught if you stay a while then leave. Also, try and show positive energy front of your child about it- she will no doubt love it once she settles in. Good luck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

sweetums89  (16-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is in a preprep room (last year of childcare before going to school) and they still play music at rest time for the kids.. Just a matter of finding the right staff. Have you tried looking for a C & K, Montessori or Steiner childcare centre? When I was looking around for DS they seemed to be more willing to follow the parent's at home routines.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MummysYellowCar For This Useful Post:

sweetums89  (16-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This was really hard for me too... my DD is 13 months old and I just had such a hard time coming to terms with her going to a daycare! She is still BF and she too is very attached to us...
    We at first were searching for a family daycare but good ones in our area are few and far between because they are popular here so the positions fill up quite fast. We didn't find anything we liked (nothing I liked!).
    We then decided to look into centres and I interviewed alot of them before I decided on the one but tbh I knew the one was the one the moment I stepped in the door... We were greeted with such love and they allowed me to go into the babies room on my "drop in visit" DD loved it there from the first moment and the carers were instantly on board with my parenting choices/style we actually stayed there for 2-3 hours on the first visit to check it out... She has a favorite carer that she loves going to now and I can see how much her carer loves her too they are really respectful to DD and us... When I was interviewing the daycares I intentionally popped in unexpected to enquire in person because I wanted to see what the centres were really like when they were not expecting parents to do walk throughs... they are even on board with us cloth nappying!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Call your local centres and ask. I went through a million centres and asked lots of questions. My lovely 10 month old only sleeps with white noise playing and the centre we chose were more than happy to accommodate us. They also use our nappies, I go in on break to BF and they basically let us dictate her routine etc. she has 2 fav carers who she will happily go to, 1 new carer she isn't as attached to. Also check the centre policies on sick leave etc as if your child's fav carer is sick will your child still have a carer they know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My youngest started off with my mum/sister having him one/two days a week from when he was about 18 months and then when he was nearly 2 he started at family day care. He was still breastfed but obviously only having it in the mornings/afternoons/evening. If you can find a lovely family day carer that would be great, if you do go to a centre make sure you ask lots of questions, be totally upfront about your expectations and when you find one you like visit it a couple of times. Probably my main bit of advice for a centre is to ask about the shifts of the staff in your child's room and try to plan your day around that, it can be more difficult for little ones to settle if their normal carer/s hasn't started for the day yet or goes before they do.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I strongly agree with MissieMack - look into family daycare if it's an option. I think the environment of family daycare is more conducive to this parenting style, although obviously not every carer is, so you would need to assess which particular carer would suit the best.

Have a read of this article, from API:

Finding an AP-friendly caregiver

and

Here are some "AP questions" you can ask the potential caregiver.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    When DD started daycare at 16mths old I too was very nervous as I was still feeding DD to sleep for her naps/bedtime. But my DH and mother were able to put DD to bed when I wasnt there by cuddles so I knew it was possible.

The daycare was fabulous. They cuddled her to sleep for the first 6weeks then weaned to patting her. Now she just lies down for them and they pat her bum for a few mins. Mind you she is still being fed/cuddled to sleep at home.

I highly recommend this centre in mitchelton brisbane. They are just brilliant.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

sweetums89  (08-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzys Mummy View Post
    When DD started daycare at 16mths old I too was very nervous as I was still feeding DD to sleep for her naps/bedtime. But my DH and mother were able to put DD to bed when I wasnt there by cuddles so I knew it was possible.

The daycare was fabulous. They cuddled her to sleep for the first 6weeks then weaned to patting her. Now she just lies down for them and they pat her bum for a few mins. Mind you she is still being fed/cuddled to sleep at home.

I highly recommend this centre in mitchelton brisbane. They are just brilliant.
    Which centre? My son actually goes to a daycare at Mitchelton, but Im unsure if I should send my DD there or find another one close by.