+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Advice on newborn routine

Anyone got some helpful advice?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think the best routine for s newborn is to just demand feed, go with the flow.

The only routine I had at that age was a bath every night before a feed and bed.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've always fed my newborns on cue and have always done a shower/boob/bed nighttime routine (bed when I go to bed otherwise just sleeping on me or on the couch in the evenings) I stop changing nappies overnight as soon as they stop pooping as its the only thing I get up for, we cosleep. Nighttime is boring time, if they wake up I just lay next to them in the dark until they go back to sleep, all of my kids learnt that it was too boring to be awake overnight very quickly.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (16-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    We just went with the flow (and still do now at 14 weeks). DS eats when hungry, sleeps when tired and we do play inbetween.

I do a bit of a bedtime routine (bath, feed, story, bed) and try to have him down by about 8pm but am flexible with this if we go out or if he has a nap later in the day. Didn't start this until about 8 weeks or so.

I think you have to do what works best for you and your baby. I have a friend who has a very strict routine (day and night) with her bub and she works her life around it. This works well for her but I know personally I couldn't live my life like that.

You will figure out what you feel comfortable with!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We're pretty much this exactly! DS just sort of found his own routine, which when hearing this in the early days was frustrating but once i stopped trying to impose a schedule things did get into a rhythm. Took about 6 weeks and still changes but works well for us.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    like the others we just go with the flow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Go with the flow and don't be afraid to follow your instincts.
    Up until 6 weeks I think it's just coping day by day and getting the feeding going well.
    Some people routine works and some not, I found my baby just kind of set up her own over time and ended up sleeping through at 3 months so I was lucky.
    It can be really hard to accept help and just go, I'm here for the baby and that's it. Don't worry if the house is a mess or your still in your Pjs it's all okay as long as you and bub are happy!
    Cherish this time as it goes so fast and relax! You are doing great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The routine we followed with DS as a newborn was Feed/Play/Sleep during the day, bedtime was feed/bath/feed/bed. He called the shots in terms of how long between feeds, but it usually worked out to be every 3-4 hours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes! Go with the flow, they're only babies ONCE!!

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)

lupa is offline I love that I am apart of this club called motherhood
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I would get into the habit of putting bubs down to sleep at least 25% awake. It will get them into the habit of them resettling themself after every 45 min cycle.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using BubHub