+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tassie.

Has anyone been on a driving holiday around Tassie before?

I would like some recommendations on accomodation, activities and what car hire is preferable.

Thankyou

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ugh I just typed you a reply and lost it!

I live in Tassie. I can highly recommend the East Coast of Tassie including Bicheno & St Helens. There's a great place in between called White Sands Resort - we stayed there a few years ago and had a ball. The Bicheno wildlife park is really good and also recommend Mt Elephant Pancakes.

Port Arthur and Richmond are great also. You would need a whole day for Port Arthur.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi hi, another tasweigan here from the south. definitely recommend what the above poster mentioned. also if you're heading south I recommend a Bruny Island daytrip over on the Ferry, Ida Bay / Hastings, South East Cape, Hartz Mountains and Tahune Forest. These can be done as daytrips even, so you can base yourself in Hobart for accom. For car hire I'd use Vroomvroomvroom otherwise if you wanted to take your own car down, the spirit of tas does night sailing from melb to devonport.
    enjoy your trip to tassie!
    Last edited by alufolie; 16-04-2012 at 15:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another Tassie girl here
    I agree with the above girls suggestions!

Some northern places that are worth a vist are The Raseberry farm, Ashgrove cheese & D'Anvers chocholate factory which are all sort of in a line near Latrobe.

The Gorge in launceston - they have a resturant there which is great to dine at aswell, and also the longest single span chairlift(in aust or something lol)

Lots of lovely Wineries ALL around the state but some great ones all close together in the Richmond area down Southern Tas and on the West Tamar which is Northern Tas

A visit to the Coles Bay area is a must! The Freycinet Lodge is a really lovely place to stay in that area.

Umm thats all I can think of at the moment but if I think of more I'll update

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou ladies for the suggestions! I am off to do some googling

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a Launceston resident and 100% agree with previous posts just wanted to add Tasmania zoo in Launceston zoodoo at Richmond and holly bank treetop adventures just outside Launceston

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've done a driving holiday around Tassie three times now, and absolutely loved it each and every time.

I made up my own itinerary and booked everything before we left, and didn't have a problem at all.

Check out the following links:

http://www.caravanparkstasmania.com/ - you can download the caravan park directory.

http://www.discovertasmania.com.au/ - has lots of great information.

I would move there tomorrow if I could.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm now a Tassie girl as well and I totally agree with what the other girls have suggested.

I wanted to add that the very best car hire price can be found at economycarrentals.com. We used this site to get a hire car when we drove around Europe and ended up with a Citoen C5 for $50 a day! They use lots of different companies...kind of like the wotif.com of car rental companies.

Have fun and remember to indulge in all the yummy foods that Tassie has to offer. King Island cheeses are the best!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Strahan is MAGIC! It's a coastal village surrounded with wilderness rainforest. We took the wilderness railway tour and the river cruise as well. The accomodaton was beautiful, Oh it was the most magical romantical beaustiful holiday ever, only it was too long ago!
    We were not impressed by cradle mountain, a day in Launcestn is nice too (they have monkeys in a park in the city! Free and funny!)

Check out this website we had a great package that included the accommodation, diner one night, buffet breaky both days, the railway and scenic cruise which both included lunch, for around $600 in the middle of May if memory serves correctly! Please take me back with you!!!!
    http://puretasmania1-px.rtrk.com.au/default.asp?pID=251

Thanks
    Reviews
    i so want to do this!!!

probably sounds like a silly question but how small is Tassie? like how long would it take to drive from the north to south or east to west? should i stay at one or 2 places and do day trips or stay at different places most/every night?