+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sex talk...

I hope this is the right place for this. I was wondering at what age would you be having the sex talk with your child?
    I have a 9 year old son and we have never talked about sex with him. He has younger siblings and he's asked about pregnancy and birth and I have always been honest but he has never asked how it happens in the first place.
    I think at his age he must be starting to hear things from other kids?
    I'm not sure how to even go about it I do have the book called where do I come from so I could start by giving him that.
    Anyone have any advice?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I went with the open always disscusion. So I answer any question anytime. If i don't know the answers I go find out and come back to them with it. (yes it has happen, new name for a old act )

If they haven't ask why don't you ask. Start gently, maybe start by talking about pregnancy or publity as that is not far away and than move on to sex. Make sure you don't overload them or make it this is you only chance to ask conversation. Start in a age appropriate language. At 9 you would be so surprised at the info he/she would already have and how much wrong info they would have.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We talk with DD1 (4yo) about sex and periods and puberty and how babies are conceived etc. Obviously age appropriate etc but nothing is a secret

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DS only knows the real basics at 7yrs old. He says sex is when 'they get naked and get ontop of eachother and breath heavy and that' LOL He has heard from his older friends and thats what he has pieced together. This morning he said something about sex so I ran off to get the book I had been saving for a long time... "Where Did I Come From". DS didnt want me to read it to him. He saw some of the pictures of the naked man and women inside the book and just refused to let me read it to him hahaha Guess he isnt THAT curious just yet after all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    My daughter is 7 in July and knows about conception... as in sperm meets egg, uterus, blah blah... she knows the sperm live in the male's tesitcles, and that the egg is inside the woman... but she has never thought to ask how the sperm gets from the man to the woman, and so I have just never answered.

I am open to conversation when she decided she wants to know that bit of information, but for now I see no point. She is not terribly interested in where babies come from anyway.

I suppose if she gets to an age where her peers might be discussing it at school, I'll tell her myself first and start hte conversation out of hte blue because I'd rather she learn the truth from me, than crappy schoolyard versions of events...

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Since she grasped language. No "willy" and "special place" as words either, we used the proper words for them.

She's watched live animal births and a few both live and cartoon videos of how the sperm meets the egg and creates a fetus.

She's not fazed by any of it and openly discusses it if it's brought up.