+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Milk feeds & snacks advice - 7.5mths

Hi all - my DS is 7.5mths & is starting to eat 3 full meals a day finally. I have 2 questions please...

1) When do you know to drop a milk feed? Currently he has 4 x 180ml bottles a day (prescription formula). He is intolerant to dairy & soy so I need to ensure he gets enough calcium from his milk.

2) When do you start introducing snacks on top of his 3 meals a day?

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    He's obviously not eating any other dairy to get calcium from so I wouldn't drop any milk feeds yet.

Maybe try offering him some snacks and if he continues to eat his other meals and drink his usual amount of milk then he's ready. If he eats the snacks but starts drinking less milk then I'd drop the snacks. I don't know much about calcium requirements but I imagine that he should keep those 4 milk feeds.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Before 1, his formula is his main source of nutrients, I would not stop any bottles until you think he is getting enough nutrients from his food, my DS dropped 1 bottle at 10 months, another at 11 months and still has 1 now at 17 months
    I started giving DS snacks mainly when we were out, mini rice cakes, fruit, organic puffs etc , you don't want to start giving snacks I think until they are eating 3 proper meals a day ,( otherwise they won't eat their meals!) for us DS was about 10-11 months old

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, appreciate your speedy responses.

I'll keep his 4 bottles going then for now - will I know when to drop a feed by him not showing interest (I'm assuming the arvo one?) or start to do it myself in time?? Like weaning?

Also Elijahs Mum - do you happen to know if the rice cakes have dairy or soy in them? That's a great snack for when out as a change from fruit if he can have them. It's been hard finding 'on the go' snacks for his allergies!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The ones I get are called " only organic" apple mini rice cakes ( you can get plain too which is just 100% brown rice) these ones are wholegrain brown rice, apple juice concentrate and iron plus a great snack I found is organic puffs from Happy Baby, you can get gluten free and they are all soy free and organic!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    The ones I get are called " only organic" apple mini rice cakes ( you can get plain too which is just 100% brown rice) these ones are wholegrain brown rice, apple juice concentrate and iron plus a great snack I found is organic puffs from Happy Baby, you can get gluten free and they are all soy free and organic!
    Awesome thanks! Where would I find these? I actually checked out the baby food section today when looking for suitable teething rusks (didn't so will now make my own after googling recipes!). I didn't notice any other rice cakes or puff things you mentioned? Thanks again

Thanks
    Reviews
    I researched and searched everywhere to find healthy snacks! my local organic shop stocks them both but go to littleorganics.com.au they have a great selection of healthy snacks for babies/kids including the puffs and rice cakes ( they ship to nsw and Vic ) plus look at the bellamys fruit snacks ( real fruit freeze dried so no nitrates/sulphates like dried fruit )
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 16-04-2012 at 20:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I researched and searched everywhere to find healthy snacks! my local organic shop stocks them both but go to littleorganics.com.au they have a great selection of healthy snacks for babies/kids including the puffs and rice cakes ( they ship to nsw and Vic ) plus look at the bellamys fruit snacks ( real fruit freeze dried so no nitrates/sulphates like dried fruit )
    Perfect, I'm online now at that site - thanks again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pesca - if you want to shop in a physical shop, you sometimes have to shop around. My coles stock some things I used, while I would go to my local foodland for others. "only" organics brand is usually stocked by coles though, so if you tried the rice cakes and likes them, you could request the shop to get them in