+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Renting - Bond. what a mess.

I am devestated...
    we moved out of our rental, 4 weeks ago.

we asked and asked for the $3,500 in bond to be paid asap.
    The property agent went through and told DH is was fine and would get it done.

Then 2 weeks later, DH called and they were so damn rude and said no we have a list.

then another week of asking and asking and we notice a FOR SALE sign is up.
    So we ask again and we get a list with a claim of - $6,500

WTF?
    The list includes..
    203 photos taken -$40
    Broken chair ( it was an outdoor chair, she left there wrought iron, rusted) $245
    Broken crystal on chandelier cannot be replaced, whole chandelier $510
    Bird feeder (not stable fell in wind) $380
    on the side of the fridge there is a dent which is the size of my finger nail $250 to fix.
    removal of foxtel cable $75
    cleaning $500
    replacement of lino on laundry floor as it has marks. $400

it goes on and on and on.

I have photos of how I left the property...
    I will upload them in the next post.

I am just in shock....
    we went to the property with the agent and he was so nasty, he screamed and yelled at us...

We had a great real estate for 11 months in this house and then one day the owner turned up at the house and stood there for an hour telling me the agent had ripped her off, and we were to pay rent to her.
    Then we got a new real estate and she announced she was selling.

She would text us every day asking for rent. She called DH telling him they were going through IVF and needed the money.

So we asked to leave early and she agreed as long as we paid rent in advance. So they must be desperate for money.

The whole thing just feels like a money grab. She got all the cleaning done so I dont even have the chance to see what she is talking about or to do it myself..

I feel sick, I cant sleep and the whole thing is so distressing.

Apparently she is happy to go to the tribunal..and i guess we will have to, but it makes me feel sick..

any advice???

Thanks
    Reviews

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh god my worst nightmare have you had a look at your states tenant rights?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Those things all sound like reasonable wear and tear, tell them you'll see them at the tribunal and leave it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

Caviar  (16-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Call the rta in your state ask them for help. We have in the past and they were a great help. Our real estate wanted $800 because there was one hair on the wall of the garage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Couldn't read and not send you some ::
    I rent and I know how stressful it can be, but what's happened to you sounds disgusting.
    Hopefully some one on here knows more about this area and can help you out.

My only thought would be contacting some one in a legal position to get advise, who I don't know but it should help if you have photos ect.

One house we moved out of they wanted us to pay $80 for a water mark to be removed from the sink in the laundry
    As that would be the minimum cost of a cleaner.. We just went back an wiped it off which took us 2 mins.

I understand landlords want the house there renting out to be in good condition when a tenant leaves but they do have to expect "little" wear and tears on the house.. People have been living it..

When we moved into the house where in now we went around and wrote a list of everything from marks on walls to discolored carpet and gave it to our agent to sign, we also took pictures so we could cover our asses.

Really hope this all works out for you

:::: :::: ::::

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    Those things all sound like reasonable wear and tear, tell them you'll see them at the tribunal and leave it.
    I agree. I know it's stressful but the tribunal are very fair and certainly don't let landlords take exorbitant amounts of money from tenants simply because they've decided they want some cash.

I think it sounds absolutely absurd and there's no way in heck the tribunal will grant them that amount of money.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Lawyer up and fast.
    DP and I had MAJOR issues with our last rental and they were on our backs to pay this that and the other which we know we didnt owe. We went straight to legal aide. She rang the agent while we were there to ask something and you could hear the fear in the agents voice. Also, send a letter to the head of the company...not their office, the head office, informing them that you will be taking this further until you meat a satisfactory result. Stop all verbal communication with the agent without your lawyer present and start doing EVERYTHING by email or registered mail so if you go to court you have evidence that you have tried to resolve this in a mature way.
    Also, if you are now renting again, keep EVERYTHING your agency sends you. Every tiny receipt, every non-important note, everything! And do all your communicating with the agent via email. That is the most important lesson I have learnt from my troubles with real estates. They think they can push people around and its not on.
    Good luck and I hope it gets sorted asap

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

Caviar  (16-04-2012),shelle65  (16-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Holy crap! That is absolutely ridiculous. I would not be paying, no way no how. I really hope the tribunal can sort it out for you. That's insane.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would definitely be contacting somebody for advice! I know in nsw they have the tenancy tribunal... Not sure about other states