+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    pay a little extra into your utilities so youre ahead is a great idea.

instead of buying random baby products we brought a $20coles or woolies gift card each week on top of the grocery shopping.
    that way you have them ready to buy baby products with just in case your bub is sensitive to certain brands or fits one brand of nappies better than others etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nice one. Me like! Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Love. Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Try to live on 1 wage and put yours into savings, I know big call..but put half away then. I agree with others with putting extra into utilities. But definately put money away...when bub comes you will be on 1 wage, best to live like that and save while pregnant. Thus when bub is here you and hubby are used to living on his income and have savings to help.
    Congrats on pregnancy....

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Torrie77 For This Useful Post:

luck  (17-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Budget down to the wire for all your bills including haircuts, holidays, presents etc. Also include a baby budget: I allowed for first 6mths. Nappies, wipes etc =$80/ fortnight medical=$25/fortnight and we also put savings for bub =$20/fortnight
    Another thing I did was have a little bag in my underwear draw(safe keeping) for spare change or $5 notes. Added up to about $500 by the time she was born and was handy to race out and grab bottles, dummy's etc. And just save as much as you can!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Krisrugby For This Useful Post:

luck  (17-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Agree with PP about paying extra and living on only one income. Also pretend that you won't get the ppl or bb as payments for those can take a while to appear.

The other tip is add about 20% to all your bills post bub. It's amazing how much electricity and water you use when you are home all day with a spewy bub.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

luck  (17-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Do a breastfeeding class through the ABA during your pregnancy. It maximises your chances of being able to breastfeed long term, which assists your finances, health and the environment.

Look into cloth nappies. They are especially easy to use in the first 6 months (before baby starts eating solids - cos then their poos get a bit gross).

Put cash away now if you can, it is nice to be able to get out to the shops if baby or mum is having a rough day, and buying something nice for you or baby can be a nice pick me up.

Make meals for the freezer!!!

Don't knock back second hand clothes for bub- some of the funkier stuff comes 2nd hand or from op shops.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

luck  (17-04-2012),Trio  (20-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cool. I have been trying to put my head in the sand on this one... but it is great advice and the reality of what we will find ourselves in just a few months...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really like the savings tips. Thanks EVERYone!
    My dad (a safety first engineer god bless him!) has told me to get a will and life & income protection insurance for me & hubby. Mum is all excited about the baby & dad is concerned about death... (!)
    We'll get our wills done by the solicitor who helped us buy our home which should be easy enough. Any suggestions on how to get insurance? What are the best policies? Any ideas? Dad said to go to a financial planner... is this better than doing it yourself?
    Any ideas? Anyone gone thru the process?

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    personally i think living off one wage as soon as i found out i was pregnant was the best thing i did.
    it meant that we were prepared for when i wasnt working, as we had to shuffle the budget.
    join your local freecycle/buy and sell fb pages, there are often bargains or freebies for those things you might need.
    we got a second hand swing for dd which was excellent as she only used it for around a month before trying to climb out! so glad we didnt pay full price!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

luck  (18-04-2012)