+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Nuchal screening - trisomy 18

Hi everyone, I am 12w4d (due 21 Oct) and had my nuchal scan last week. My scan came back perfect but my bloods were not so good and my risk of Trisomy 18 (Edwards Syndrome) is 1/151 (usual stats for my age 37 are 1/403). I am naturally very concerned. I have booked in for an amnio which is also very concering, but I think I need to find out becuase a baby with Edwards Syndrome has 0% chance of surviving outside the womb. I have two healthy children (12 and 1.5). How did you find the amnio? I am getting it done at Ultrasound Care in St Leonards - does anyone have any experiece with having an amnio there? Just wondering if anyone else is going through the same thing....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How long do you have to wait for an amnio? Till 16 weeks?

I had an amnio last year, the procesure itself is bearable. I didn't take any notice of what they did just had my eyes shut. Pain wise just some pressure when they take the needle out. You may experience some cramping for the few days to follow.
    The hardest part is getting high risk results and having to wait for so long for further news.
    I hope the wait goes quickly, it will be a very nervous time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    IF you would like some info and support on trisomy 18, including stories from both families where babies have survived and where parents have made the decision to end their pregnancy try www.trisomy18.org

Look after yourself over the next few weeks.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

nic1975  (16-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

That is a great resource for trisomy 18 and 13 or also called Edwards Syndrome and Patau Syndrome. Other great sites that have up to date information are the SOFT USA site www.trisomy.org and also google Noah's Never Ending Rainbow, Hope for Trisomy, Trisomy Families, and Trisomy Advocacy Group. There are many active groups on Facebook and Instagram. Please pm me if anyone would like more information xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Sorry to read your going through this, I also have been through this recently but for trisomy 21. My scan was also perfect but bloods were very off, I was 33 and was told there was a 1.220 chance. They advised an amnio was needed, the amnio was very straight forward and wasn't a terrible procedure. More an emotional procedure. I took it very easy after, for a week. The worst was the waiting, I paid to have the basic results through faster. All turned out fine, good luck with everything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Sorry the results were concerning, really hope that things are ok

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Hi nic. Very sorry to hear your news. There is a lady on here going through the same thing. Search allymumtobe.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Trisomy 18

Hi.. this is my painful story.. I was married three years ago..me and my husband were trying to concieve for two years and saw doctors...we decided to go for IVF but fortunately I concieved naturally.. our happiness was great and everything was perfect.. at week 10 , our dr suggested to make NIPs test for trisomy 21,13,18..results came negative and showed that we have a baby boy.. at week 12 we went for regular scan.. I was happy and luaghing when I heard my 's heart beating.. but the dr said that she think that baby is not good.. my laughing turned immediately into tears. She asked for a blood test and results were 1:4 risk for trisomy 18. I spent the worst weekend in my life waiting for Monday to go to the Royal hospital for Women .we have told that it is the best place to go. They made another ultrasound and found that baby has hydrops under the skin, scalp, bilateral pluaral effusion, heart on right side, diaphramatic hearnia and heart failure. It was the worst day in my life. They performdd CVS. Next day they called us and confirmed the diagnosis of trisomy 18. They said it is the full form because they found the extra chromosome in all cells and mos ft ly my baby will die within two weeks. 5% chance to live till birth but will die one or two days later. We given the option of termination of pregnancy. I spent the most difficult two weeks in my life asking what to do and if god will forgive me. I cant see my baby surviving. I took the difficult choice and terminate. Now I am trying to cope with this. I am devastated and no words can describe my feelings. Hopefully I will meet my baby again in heaven.