+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FionaC85 View Post
    Great! How do I get started? I have heard that it is more beneficial to do the business admin course, but then because of terminology i have been told the medical one is also beneficial. But your comment seals that decision for me.

Do you think I would have a chance at a part time job while studying or would I have a better chance once completed? What skills do you look for on a resume? I am trying to figure out how to describe my skills from working in childcare these past 7 years to suit a reception/client facing role.
    Address all of the selection criteria with examples of your current skills. I agree that they are transferable but given I get 20 resume drop off a month (on average) I do need to screen without reading them all. I certainly would look at taking on someone who was studying, if I spoke to them and liked them. And yes you can do a medical version of Cert III, but I would only advise that if you are certain that it is medical admin you want to do. Otherwise general is fine- you can always buy yourself a mini medical dictionary. I also have very strict presentation expectations for my staff- hair back off faces, uniform neat, ironed etc. (I on the other hand do not wear their uniform, I wear the same as the practitioners which confuses everyone).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh abd in regards to getting started with a course- look online or at your local Tafe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boost View Post
    Address all of the selection criteria with examples of your current skills. I agree that they are transferable but given I get 20 resume drop off a month (on average) I do need to screen without reading them all. I certainly would look at taking on someone who was studying, if I spoke to them and liked them. And yes you can do a medical version of Cert III, but I would only advise that if you are certain that it is medical admin you want to do. Otherwise general is fine- you can always buy yourself a mini medical dictionary. I also have very strict presentation expectations for my staff- hair back off faces, uniform neat, ironed etc. (I on the other hand do not wear their uniform, I wear the same as the practitioners which confuses everyone).

OP I hope you don't mind if I ask Boost a question as I don't mean to hijack your thread but I was wondering, would you look at a resume that although Cert 3 has not been completed, I have spent 14 yeas in administration? I am currently a return to work coordinator and am looking at getting into medical reception as I love anything medical related. I am looking at doing a medical terminology certificate .. would that suffice for you along with my experience if you were looking to hire?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, with 14 years exp, but I would put in your contract that you needed to do some work based study/training. So for example a cert III in business or accounting etc, which you would pay for, but is tax deductible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @first time mummy- given your 14 years, you could probably get recognised prior learning and head straight in to a Cert IV or Diploma. I would tend to favour you on experience alone, if you were willing to study. But someone with minimal experience, I wouldn't consider without the Cert. Saying that though I put on a girl with Advanced Diplomas and excellent marks- but lacks common sense and usually rang a patient 4-5 times to schedule 1 appointment!!! So resumes really need examples to answer key selection criteria. And don't wear too much make-up to interviews. I never like that lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Boost View Post
    @first time mummy- given your 14 years, you could probably get recognised prior learning and head straight in to a Cert IV or Diploma. I would tend to favour you on experience alone, if you were willing to study. But someone with minimal experience, I wouldn't consider without the Cert. Saying that though I put on a girl with Advanced Diplomas and excellent marks- but lacks common sense and usually rang a patient 4-5 times to schedule 1 appointment!!! So resumes really need examples to answer key selection criteria. And don't wear too much make-up to interviews. I never like that lol
    Thank you so much! I think I'll stick to doing my medical terminology certificate and take it from there. Any chance you have a job going?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sometimes going to an employment agency can help, they will find jobs for you.

When I was 20 I took a year off from uni and just started a part time reception job, I had no experience. I got it through an employment agency. It was just answering phones, but after 6 months they asked me to fill in as EA to the boss, and I then ended up doing that permanently. That then lead to working as EA to a professor and then to a big CEO. If you start small, it’s very easy to work your way up and you can study while you are working. I’d suggest getting up to date in Microsoft office suite (word, excel, outlook, powerpoint, access) maybe take a couple of short courses. A lot of places will give you a try without much experience if you are bright and have a good personality. If you end up working for a small business, a bit of myob knowledge or similar programs doesn’t hurt. Usually they are want someone who looks professional and is friendly and approachable.

Best of luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    OP, would you consider doing a Cert. IV in TAE and training people at TAFE in childcare? They pay between $35-65 per hour and the course can be done express style, from home or over 3,6, or 12 months in a classroom environment. Not at all reception work but uses the skill set you already have without being in a daycare environment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BbBbBh View Post
    OP, would you consider doing a Cert. IV in TAE and training people at TAFE in childcare? They pay between $35-65 per hour and the course can be done express style, from home or over 3,6, or 12 months in a classroom environment. Not at all reception work but uses the skill set you already have without being in a daycare environment.
    This has definately been a big consideration of mine in deciding what to do. I am just REALLY over it and wouldn't mind something completely new. but that has crossed my mind