+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Working in reception

I have been working in childcare for 7 years and looking for a change. I am looking into reception/customer service. Anyone here have any tips for getting a job in reception? Im not sure what I'm looking for/at when I read an advertisement.

looking forward to your responses

Guest Guest
    How about realestate? I did that when I was younger and it was a good atmosphere, and it can lead into other areas like property management that you'd probably enjoy?
    Or maybe a legal secretary, I think you have to go to school for that though? I have a friend that does reception at parliament, she loves it and government jobs are pretty good to have.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I changed from childcare and started working for National hearing care and they were great and really willing to you a chance, look into getting a medical receptionist job.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hey there, I think it depends what sort of work you want to do.

I worked for a large car rental company (I wanted to get out of hospitality). I started in call centre, you have sales targets to reach which I am hopeless at so I never earnt bonus commissions. But you have lots a great ppl to work with and its kinda fun atmosphere.

Part of that job, we all rotated through reception to cover the receptionist lunch break. I found it really, really lonely. You sit on your own ALL day and there is noone to talk to. Sure you are the phones, but I dunno I didn't like it. I am sure if it is your job you do additional work, our recptionsist used to organise stationary, catering, accomodation/flights for execs etc. But yeh I find it very lonely and dry.

Mates moved out of the call centre into CR (customer relations). There was less pressure then call centre - no targets. But it was also challenging because thats where all customer complaints came to. It didn't bother my mate at all and she loved the role. It was alot of sorting out ppls bills, so getting an enquiry and then liasing with other departments/branches to get answer and then calling customer back. It was frustrating she said that your work was never finished, there was always stuff hanging over your head that wasn't tidied up and often she would get yelled at. I couldn't have done it, but it suited her.

Either way, that was 3 possible ways of getting into a 'corporate' environment. I worked in call centre for 3mths and then moved into the pricing team - first as a junior assitant and then as a pricing anaylst - great job which I absolutely loved.

My mate who went to CR, then moved into leisure sales team as an admin assistant and then onto a sales rep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If you do get an interview, then it's all about first impressions, more so with reception than other jobs! Just dress smart, professional and be charming

Thanks
    Reviews
    i think i want to avoid a call centre roles. I have been looking at medical reception and have been talking to my local gp receptionist for advice on how to get into it, but she has been doing it for 30 years so yeah. my dad is in medical sales and has his ear to the ground for me for opportunities. I am willing to do any courses needed, but i am sceptical about whether or not to do a medical receptionist course specifically or a generic admin course. Because of my limited experience in such a role I'm a bit stumped. so keep any helpful responses coming!!!!!

Has anyone else done a similar change that I am doing? I love childcare but just had too much of it coming home to a little one after looking after 12 other little ones all day!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    If you do get an interview, then it's all about first impressions, more so with reception than other jobs! Just dress smart, professional and be charming
    The main thing from my last job was how great I built relationships with my children and their families and my manner with them was very highly regarded by my manager so thats what I'm basing alot of things on! tick for charm!
    I'm intimidated by the thought of an office environment though, I just dont know much about them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im a Practice Manager of a medical clinic overseeing 3 medical receptionists. What would you like to know?
    I highly recommend you go and get your Cert III in Business Admin. I won't even read a resume unless someone has cert III minimum.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Boost View Post
    Im a Practice Manager of a medical clinic overseeing 3 medical receptionists. What would you like to know?
    I highly recommend you go and get your Cert III in Business Admin. I won't even read a resume unless someone has cert III minimum.
    Great! How do I get started? I have heard that it is more beneficial to do the business admin course, but then because of terminology i have been told the medical one is also beneficial. But your comment seals that decision for me.

Do you think I would have a chance at a part time job while studying or would I have a better chance once completed? What skills do you look for on a resume? I am trying to figure out how to describe my skills from working in childcare these past 7 years to suit a reception/client facing role.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You will have lots of transferable skills! Customer service, problem solving, tenacity, patience, following procedure, multi-tasking, prioritising tasks. The key thing is to have examples for each of them.

I personally don't think you need to study for a reception role but havin said that it couldn't hurt!