+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I won't give my kids the flu shot. If they had one for a common cold, probably, but flu? No!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post
    I didn't really like the way they were comparing their children with one another, but I don't openly show it.
    "Jackie can say the alphabet back to front and is only 23 months old".
    "Oh? Well Sarah can count to 20 and back and she's only 18 months old".
    "Ha! Max can jump 20 times on 1 leg on a trampoline and he's only just 2 years old".

Isn't it strange how people do that? I mean, I understands when people rave on about what they can do themselves but how is it their achievement when their child does something clever? I know they decended from you but that doesn't make them YOU haha!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to captainscaptain For This Useful Post:

Misschief  (17-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    my point was that i think giving my children vaccinations for illness that is not life threatening, where the vaccination turns out to be more harmful.

i'm not saying people shouldn't, just that i personally am skeptical and what happened here only cemented my belief to be wary.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to halloweendee For This Useful Post:

Misschief  (17-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by halloweendee View Post
    after what happened here in perth (children and babies had convulsions, went into comas and there was also deaths linked directly and confirmed by the coroner with the flu shot) there is no way i would even consider it.

the chief health officer of the commonwealth of australia suspended the shots, then recommends them only after the age of 5 for children with pre-existing conditions.
    It was a different flu vax that caused the problems and they are no longer available to children under 5.
    Influvac is still fine and safe to give to kids from 6 months and up. DS has no preexisting conditions, but I know how sick he can get with the flu.

Anyway, it's been a week now and we're both still alive and kicking. Oh and flu free

Thanks for your input ladies. It is much appreciated

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Misschief For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (17-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post
    Fair enough

But if you were advised to get him one as it could be beneficial for him, would you consider it at all?
    I would consider and most likely do it, its something I am seriously considering if he gets croup again this winter I'll approach his doctor about it.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by halloweendee View Post
    my point was that i think giving my children vaccinations for illness that is not life threatening, where the vaccination turns out to be more harmful.

i'm not saying people shouldn't, just that i personally am skeptical and what happened here only cemented my belief to be wary.
    This is also why I don't do flu shots but I am at odds as to which is the lesser scary thing with Ds after bronchiolitis and respiratory infection one winter then croup 3 times the next winter (and he's only 22 months old)

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmi View Post
    but I am at odds as to which is the lesser scary thing with Ds after bronchiolitis and respiratory infection one winter then croup 3 times the next winter (and he's only 22 months old)
    Its really about the benefits outweighing the risks in your case. Maybe its worth getting some advice from a peadiatrician?
    For me personally, I can't handle seeing DS suffer when I know I could have prevented itIs

Thanks
    Reviews
    I totally feel you OP!!! My DD had her 12 and 18 month immunisations togetheron the advise of a great peadiatrician a) because she attends daycare. b) because I get really upset at immunisation times and c) because they CAN be given together! In my mind it makes sense to minimise the amount of times you have to go back in for immunisation especially because its a stressful event! She got a little feverish afterwards but thats normal... My SIL absolutely criticised us for making that decision!

I dont know what drives some women to criticise others... Maybe something to do with their own insecurities?? Who knows?!

Anyway the point I am getting at is... If you are comfortable with your decision based on PROFESSIONAL advice and not just "mamma popular opinion" then that is great! and you should not let anyone second guess you! Afterall you are doing what is right for you and your family... What is right for yours wont be right for the next... The sooner that parents are able to understand that its ok to have a difference in opinion the better!

My parenting motto is to be confident in our decisions - in our parenting, I offer advise and suggestions when it is asked for but I dont expect everyone to agree with my advise, I understand that every one is different. No one is right or wrong in this parenting thing... We are all just doing the best we can xxxx

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MonkeyBuboos For This Useful Post:

Misschief  (18-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I won't give my kids the flu shot. If they had one for a common cold, probably, but flu? No!
    \

I'm really curious as to why this is? Why vaccinate against a common cold when you could vaccinate against something that kills many young ones a year?

(Not a stab at you; just want to understand your view in more detail!)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to captainscaptain For This Useful Post:

Misschief  (18-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't get the flu vaccination for myself, let alone my children. But then, i'm also a delayed and selective vaxxer

But I don't think you did anything bad or did the wrong thing at all. Perhaps these other women didn't realise that getting toddlers a flu vaccination was common (or possible at all)...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

Misschief  (18-04-2012)