+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsdj1234 View Post
    Just quoting this because it brings up the thing I hate the most about any discussion about the baby bonus.
    Why is it that if someone gets the BB they must be doing it to get the BB, but a mum who gets PPL is some kind of saint who is having a baby because they just want one?

And yes PPL is taxed, but you end up getting any tax paid over the minimum tax bracket back in a tax return. So no one can say that it is anywhere near the same amount as BB.

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub
    Sorryi didn't mean any offense, I'm a sahm, I just saw people confused by what was saod and had my take on it. Sorry

Sent from my T3020 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Not sure if partnered mums were the same, but as a single mum I was very much looked down on for not working. Then when I did work, I was looked down on by a whole different section of society. It's not that sahms get no respect, it's mothers in general.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (16-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    PPL is taxed and reduces your FTB, it hasn't been as good as I would've hoped but it's a start.

Mrsdj, I don't think child care would be anywhere near free for those with minimum wage job. I paid $100 per week when single, $365 when partnered and I earn jack all.
    Yes, but you have the right to choose bb and not lose any ftb b or choose the ppl.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Benji  (16-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Not sure if partnered mums were the same, but as a single mum I was very much looked down on for not working. Then when I did work, I was looked down on by a whole different section of society. It's not that sahms get no respect, it's mothers in general.
    I am beginning to realise this more and more SAB....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by spitthedummy View Post
    Sorryi didn't mean any offense, I'm a sahm, I just saw people confused by what was saod and had my take on it. Sorry

I knew what you meant, that's why the disclaimer at the beginning, cause I didn't want you to think I took it to mean it was your thoughts. Guess my disclaimer wasn't any good

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does anyone know exactly how much FTB B (the single income payment) is?
    It's $140 a fortnight. That's right, $10 a day. Us SAHM's can really live the life of luxury on that can't we

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Ditto!

When you stay at home your lazy and having kids to get out of work... When you work you are getting someone to raise your kids, cant win. If your single on top of that, you are the worst kind of person!

As for the sahm's getting defensive about sahm mums getting no respect etc because people are generally not supporting an increase in BB... That is not what we are saying at all... This thread has not been derogatory towards sahms at all, imo.

For me personally, id love to be a sahm, but an extra 5k wont make that happen (well i could stay home an extra 10 weeks, yippeeee!). It also wont allow me to afford childcare for an extra child, so neither does it allow a mother to return to work if she so wishes (well it could pay for about 15 weeks of childcare, then what, i quit?). So imo, the only people who will see a real benefit in the extra money are those who will waste it anyway.. It will not encourage someone to have a baby who has the foresight to realise 5k is a drop in the ocean and will support neither the sahm or working mum scenario. There are more fiscally and ethically resposible things this extra cash could be spent on.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Super Trooper For This Useful Post:

share a book  (16-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsdj1234 View Post
    I knew what you meant, that's why the disclaimer at the beginning, cause I didn't want you to think I took it to mean it was your thoughts. Guess my disclaimer wasn't any good

Again sorry I missunderstood, I'm running on about 2 hours of broken sleep at the moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    [/QUOTE]

Yes, but you have the right to choose bb and not lose any ftb b or choose the ppl.[/QUOTE]

So do you think its fair that a working parent who has been paying taxes etc, on a wage of say even 30-40k, is then expected to live off 10k minus tax, with the extra costs of having a baby?

When someone who has never worked a day in their life gets 5k.

It doesnt seem like fair renumeration to me is all.

I like the suggestion of putting the extra BB into super, for all parents, with the aging population the cost of aged care is going to skyrocket, so would make sense to assist people in retirement. Also, many parents work casual for flexibility around children, but then get paid bugger all super.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Yes, but you have the right to choose bb and not lose any ftb b or choose the ppl.[/QUOTE]

So do you think its fair that a working parent who has been paying taxes etc, on a wage of say even 30-40k, is then expected to live off 10k minus tax, with the extra costs of having a baby?

When someone who has never worked a day in their life gets 5k.

It doesnt seem like fair renumeration to me is all.

I like the suggestion of putting the extra BB into super, for all parents, with the aging population the cost of aged care is going to skyrocket, so would make sense to assist people in retirement. Also, many parents work casual for flexibility around children, but then get paid bugger all super.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub[/QUOTE]

Umm, I'm a working mother, but who says a SAHM has never worked a day in their life? Very presumptuous of you.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (16-04-2012),MissPoss  (17-04-2012),The Fox  (16-04-2012)