+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I do agree that there is a lack of respect for sahms, although I don't think this thread has been particularly rude to sahms (in fact, I'm fairly sure you were referred to as proper mums )

Sahms receive FTB and the baby bonus. I will always support this. It is SO important. The problem for many working mums is that we lose that AND are forced to pay horrendus child care fees, often $300+ per week. Something does need to be done about this. This is often why families are struggling but have no choice to struggle as being one income family is tough for many but they'd actually be no/little better off with mum working because of child care fees.
    Thank you Benji, that is exactly what I meant.

Generally speaking a SAHM has a lower income and therefore is eligible for substantially reduced child care fees. However, working parents have to fork out higher child care fees because of there earnings. The whole system is completely counter-productive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hopefully2 View Post
    But sahm's were saying they didn't go back to work coz of the cost of child care. I know that's a different topic but I seriously don't mean to be rude or put down sahms but I only have working mum friends. I don't know any sahm's except my sil in the uk who doesn't have to work. Seriously I was brought up by a workaholic mum do seriously don't understand the sahm world.
    This is why I suggested additional funding would be well directed to overcome the problem of SAHMs who WANT to go back to work but the cost of child care makes it not worthwhile.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    While as a SAHM I totally support our role being acknowledged, I do think 10k is too much. 5k is enough imo. I'm a bit surprised to see some saying the money should go to further increases in PPL. This payment even with tax is around 60+% more than the BB. Don't get me wrong, I support the nearly 10k for the PPL. But geez, I think that's enough...

and I'm thinking Neekie's comment is actually sarcastic towards SAHM's who think they are 'proper' mums over working mums. I don't know any SAHM that thinks that
    Unless something has changed in the last 8 months, this isn't really true - the BB and PPL was pretty much the same when I did the comparison before having DD. PPL did work out to be more but not by much. Certainly not 60% more! Might have had something to do with my tax bracket though as although it's minimum wage, it gets taxed at your usual rate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    Unless something has changed in the last 8 months, this isn't really true - the BB and PPL was pretty much the same when I did the comparison before having DD. PPL did work out to be more but not by much. Certainly not 60% more! Might have had something to do with my tax bracket though as although it's minimum wage, it gets taxed at your usual rate.
    The baby bonus is $5000 paid over 13 fortnights (26 weeks) and PPL is over $10,000 over 18 weeks.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 16-04-2012 at 06:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Neekie View Post
    It would be so amazingly helpful to all of us 'proper mums' out there, when I say that I mean the ones who look after their children. But realistically it is a stupid idea.
    I may be wrong but I took this as meaning us mothers who don't just have kids for the baby bonus. Iykwim, us proper mums who have kods because we want to and are capable of looking after them, not just having kids because we need a new TV. .. just the way I took it anyway. .

Sent from my T3020 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    The baby bonus is $5000 paid over 13 fortnights (26 weeks) and PPL is over $10,000 over 18 weeks.
    PPL is taxed and reduces your FTB, it hasn't been as good as I would've hoped but it's a start.

Mrsdj, I don't think child care would be anywhere near free for those with minimum wage job. I paid $100 per week when single, $365 when partnered and I earn jack all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Mrsdj, I don't think child care would be anywhere near free for those with minimum wage job. I paid $100 per week when single, $365 when partnered and I earn jack all.
    That was my point Benji. Putting the money into CCB or CCR would not be able to bring cc fees down enough to make returning to work affordable for those with 2+ kids and a minimum wage job.
    And given that about half of us are partnered, that fee is even more.

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am surprised that people still think that PPL is $10k. This is before tax. When I used the calculator the PPL gave me $75 more than the BB!

I would support the money going to increased PPL rather than BB. From the government's perspective it is better to have women in the workforce than at home. I know all the arguments about societal benefits, etc but I am talking about a strictly economic perspective here.

I also think anything that allows women to continue working who want to do so is a good thing as most of the SAHMs I know do NOT do so out of choice.

I would also support it going towards CCB or CCR rather than the BB for all the reasons I have said. This would help working mums and also SAHM's who would prefer to work if they could.

I also think putting it into super is a great idea. Lots of options!

Anyway likely a moot point as this will never happen anyway!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hopefully2 View Post
    But sahm's were saying they didn't go back to work coz of the cost of child care. I know that's a different topic but I seriously don't mean to be rude or put down sahms but I only have working mum friends. I don't know any sahm's except my sil in the uk who doesn't have to work. Seriously I was brought up by a workaholic mum do seriously don't understand the sahm world.
    I'd make 4k/annum if I went back full time tomorrow we figured out. If hubby's income increases, we'd be worse off with me working.

It's not financially feasible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by spitthedummy View Post
    I may be wrong but I took this as meaning us mothers who don't just have kids for the baby bonus. Iykwim, us proper mums who have kods because we want to and are capable of looking after them, not just having kids because we need a new TV. .. just the way I took it anyway. .

Sent from my T3020 using BubHub
    Just quoting this because it brings up the thing I hate the most about any discussion about the baby bonus.
    Why is it that if someone gets the BB they must be doing it to get the BB, but a mum who gets PPL is some kind of saint who is having a baby because they just want one?

And yes PPL is taxed, but you end up getting any tax paid over the minimum tax bracket back in a tax return. So no one can say that it is anywhere near the same amount as BB.

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub