+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My thoughts? Joyce is an idiot. The Australian budget cannot take this kind of hit.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (15-04-2012),Chocolate All Gone Now  (15-04-2012),madreader  (16-04-2012),Nmgb  (15-04-2012),share a book  (15-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's a stupid idea.

There are much better methods to encourage SAHPs.

Either way it's not the SAHPs they need to encourage to breed, it's the professionals who have limited leave and who having children hinders their career that need the encouragement.

I'm a SAHP, I had 2 under 2 so my time away from my work would be shorter rather than spacing them out. I now don't think I'll ever return to my career.

I agree being a SAHP needs to be a more feasible option financially, but I don't think a 5k boost to the BB will affect it enough.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (15-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think recognising that sahmothering is a job and requires income is a good thing.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Urban Tumbleweed  (15-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That is bloody stupid!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Why not simply add a set amount to Super for up to 5 years for people at home? If it's such a concern, I think that's a far better idea, like $1k per year for up to 5 years, or until work is resumed. I agree, the economy cannot take that kind of hit, and the health and education systems need the money. What's the point in encouraging more people to have more kids if the health and education systems cannot handle them?

Lowering the overall cost of living would make it more affordable to be a SAHP without it affecting the whole economy for generations to come.
    Last edited by share a book; 15-04-2012 at 13:56.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Minkie  (15-04-2012),Stiflers Mom  (15-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think recognizing sahp is a job is a great thing
    However
    Working parents than have an option of $5000 baby bonus or $10000 parental leave that is taxed. So we than go back to a situation that we still don't have paid maternity leave options for women. I had hopes that paid parental leave was a step towards providing a real maternity leave payment for women

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I could see 1 positive with that for my family if we were to have a 3rd and it was $10 000 it would go strait into buying a house and stop renting.
    But I could see so many people wasting it that I think its a bad idea

Thanks
    Reviews
    Stupid idea. It perpetuates the whole sense of entitlement some peopke have where they think its not their responsibility to take care of themselves.

Putting money in super instead is a good idea if they really want to spend the money, but other things that might help could be incentivizing banks to offer "maternity leave" from a mortgage without it impacting your interest, covering more for birth-related expenses such as private OB fees to make private care more affordable and ease pressure on the public hospitals, making childcare more affordable/accessible.., I'm sure there are heaps of good initiatives that extra money could fund.

DH and I are starting to plan for #2 and we don't factor in any gov money to our budget as we don't want to rely on it. We're in that awkward group where the government considers us 'wealthy' on paper so we're pretty much entitled to sweet FA, but in reality we live in Sydney and our cost of living is high so we have to budget carefully to afford a family. I don't whinge about it though, I don't think it's the governments job to fund my choices.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Pesca77  (15-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    The money could be better spend on healthcare and education.

I don't intend to ever be a working mother while my children are little, and 10K would be great... but it'd be wasted on stuff I don't really need and just want... like clothes or fancier shoes or whatever. It would be much better spend on providing quality healthcare to those who need it, or by being given to schools that can barely stock their art supply cupboards or have pretty old, dodgy computers and crappy torn library books, etc.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

share a book  (15-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Though I loved getting the BB for both boys aNd am a SAHM I don't think giving out more money is going to help. If they are so worried about our super then direct the money towards our super instead of a cash payment. There are too many ppl just using the system as it is and maybe having children for the money adding more money to the mix is going to cause problem. I would rather the money be put either into job creation or lowering the costs of living. Things are getting dearer but our wages are not accommodating to this fact.