+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Do people forget what it was like before PPL, before the BB?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I think people assume it will be paid in a lump sum? That's the feeling I get.

PPL isn't paid in a lump sum. It's less than the earner's wage generally paid over 18 weeks.

I get the feeling people think the $10k BB would be paid in a lump sum. Not sure I'd support that (I don't get any lump sums from work) and it did cause problems when it was being paid in huge lump sums but I'd support it being paid over 18 weeks (if it were taxed, I don't think it'd be fair that the BB is more than PPL to be completely honest). I'd hugely support it going into SAHMs superannuation!
    The proposed increase would only happen if the proposed increase to ppl happened, so the BB wouldn't be more than ppl.

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsdj1234 For This Useful Post:

Benji  (16-04-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    IMO child care fees are so high because there is a large demand and very little places, if child care workers were paid appropriately there would be more child care places available, no I don't think this should mean that parents using the service should pay more, I think we need more funding for child care centers from the government I think this would encourage people who are stuck at home due to child care costs to return to the work force if they wished and it would help working parents with the cost as well.

On the one hand I do agree sahms below the current family assistance threshold need more of a super boost, but I can't see where the government would get the funding for this and I'm not eager for hubby to be paying anymore tax.

If they do magically pulled money out their bottoms I think it would be better to see an increase in rent assistance and FTB part b, an increase in the yearly supplement payment and better yet an increase in repayments as your child gets older. All of these things are means tested and I do think that's a fair way to do it.

Eta. Sorry I have no idea if the yearly supplement is means tested or not? Does everyone get it?
    Last edited by headoverfeet; 16-04-2012 at 10:15.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    In an ideal world I would love to see SAHMs paid more. I particularly like the idea of money being put into super for SAHMs.

But in this instance I think the money could be better spent elsewhere. It's not that I don't respect SAHMs - I do, I have a HUGE respect for people who do a job that I couldn't - but given the current financial state of the country and the other areas where money is desperately needed, I think handing it out to people who for the most part don't desperately need it is not a great idea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    *raises hand* yep another SAHM that worked for a decade paying taxes before staying at home. I also went back to work for a year after I had my first.

If I had my way I'd put the money into FTB and increase the income bracket, so most families will get it, SAHM or working.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I'd have to agree that you can't win either way.

Things I've heard right on this forum about SAHMs:
    • it's not work (24/7 job with little sleep doesn't sound like a holiday to me)
    • just sits around all day (I wish my baby/toddler let me SIT for 5 minutes, even enjoy a HOT coffee would've been nice)
    • They can obviously afford to stay home (hmm, that's why so many haven't had a haircut so their kids can have one instead)
    • Not contributing to society (no, little people aren't a contribution at all, are they?)
    • Their poor husbands have been at work all day (hmm, yes and SAHMs with babies have probably barely slept in a week)

Working mums:
    • They're lucky they get holidays and sick leave (hmm, funny that because I consider my 'holidays' and 'sick days' to be doing what I used to when I was a SAHM)
    • They don't have to pack lunches (no, our kids are the ones at school with no lunches. of course)
    • They don't have to do much housework (I forgot, our laundry does itself and our kids are spotless)
    • They don't cook dinner (I don't know what that hour every evening is for me clanging around with pots and pans)
    • They don't raise their kids themselves (I forgot, all children of SAHMs are homeschooled and don't attend child care)
    • They're lucky because they get to drive alone to work (I'm not sure who that kid in the back is who keeps talking then! And peak hour traffic is FUN)
    • They get a break when they go to work (yippeeeeee!!!)
    • They only work for lifestyle (if being able to afford housing and food then yes, I absolutely do it for the lifestyle of not being homeless and hungry)
    • They actually get more from the govt when you consider the CCR (oh, so the fact that we lost FTB and pay tax counts for nothing? As well as assisting a company/service?)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Benji  (16-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Thermo, is FTB part B the one for one income families? I sort of see that one as a SAHMs allowance. I'd like to see that one increased to see less SAHMs being financially abused by their spouse. Not saying this happens in all cases, but it does happen

I think something also needs to be done about super. With the divorce rate being so bad I worry about what will happen to women in the future after they have sacrificed their super to be a mother.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    My understanding is upon divorce women are now entitled to a certain percentage of her partner's super?? I agree with this.... and I'm sure the pro men members will scream at that that the poor menz will lose the money 'he has worked so hard for'. But she has washed his clothes, fed him and taken care of the kids so he has no child care costs and had a nice life.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (16-04-2012),Benji  (16-04-2012),shelle65  (16-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    My understanding is upon divorce women are now entitled to a certain percentage of her partner's super?? I agree with this.... and I'm sure the pro men members will scream at that that the poor menz will lose the money 'he has worked so hard for'. But she has washed his clothes, fed him and taken care of the kids so he has no child care costs and had a nice life.
    The child care costs is what a lot of people don't factor in. People say "it's not fair that he has to work while she stays home" (apart from the fact that it's bloody hard work raising children and caring for them all day) but if she has two + children she is actually saving about $600 and then some in child care! How people think that all mums should be 'contributing' just blows my mind

I think SAHMs should write out a detailed list, work out how much they would spend in child care, how much a cleaner would cost, laundering service, gardener, or nanny and then work out how they do 'nothing' all day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think its an ill thought out idea, and very sexist to boot ( I know as many SAHD as SAHM)
    TBH an extra 10K would probably make me give up work for a while to be a SAHM, and many other women might do the same. Bang there goes the economy.
    And where is this money going to come from?
    SAHP already get family tax benefit A and B
    If they REALLY want more parents to stay home for longer DO SOMETHING ABOUT HOUSE PRICES! thats the main reason both parents have to go back to work so soon.