+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default $10,000 baby bonus for SAHMs

The big push for $10,000 baby bonus by Nationals MP Barnaby Joyce

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national/the-...#ixzz1s4VsOUPN

Senator Barnaby Joyce is pushing Tony Abbott to double the baby bonus.
    NATIONALS Senator Barnaby Joyce is pushing Tony Abbott to double the baby bonus for stay-at-home mums to $10,000 if he wins power at the next election.
    Fearing a backlash over the generosity of the Coalition's proposed paid-parental-leave scheme, which would offer wealthy working women up to $75,000, the Nationals have proposed a better deal for stay-at-home mums.

"It's an incredible sacrifice for women to stay at home. You can see it in their superannuation and everything else," Senator Joyce said.

"We want to make sure people don't lose their house. Because everything is based on two incomes these days. All policies have a cost. But it's a substantial sacrifice for people not to go to work."

The Nationals first flagged the policy at the 2010 election.

But Finance Minister Penny Wong said Treasury costings revealed the Budget impact of the Nationals plan to boost the baby bonus would be as much as $3 billion over three years.

It would cost the Budget $890 million in 2013-14, $990 million the next financial year, and $1.1 billion the following year.
    "This is yet another policy proposal the Coalition can't afford," Ms Wong told The Sunday Telegraph.

"They already have $70 billion in cuts to services they're keeping secret and now they need to find billions extra to fund their new promises."

Nationals leader Warren Truss stressed the plan to double the baby bonus was a policy of the Nationals rather than the Coalition and had not been endorsed by Mr Abbott.

"There were certain concerns that the proposal did provide very substantial assistance to some and not to others," he said.

"That issue was raised by some. But it is a workplace issue not a welfare payment. That's the thinking to encourage married women to stay in the workforce."

Nationals MP Mark Coulton conceded there had been some issues in regional communities about the impact of lump sum baby bonus payments in the past but it was now paid fortnightly.

"I think there were problems with the lump sums but that's been addressed," he said.

Thoughts?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

ComeBackKid  (16-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's a lot of money! It would probably mean we could have a third child, then I could return to the workforce once they're older. I think it could be both good and bad!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's a stupid idea and I'm a pregnant with no 4 SAHM!

They could use that money for so many other things! If he's concerned about stay at home mums superannuation then a better suggestion would be to introduce some type of incentive to boost that, like a better co contribution rate for sahm's or something.

Can you imagine the uproar about people having babies for the bonus if it were doubled?

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 2girls1boyplus1 For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (15-04-2012),Mill  (16-04-2012),staz  (15-04-2012),wilding  (16-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Barnaby Goose!!!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Mill  (16-04-2012),share a book  (15-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ohh feck that!

Said as a full-time SAHM, I think it's a terribly stupid idea! What other funding would be lost to cover the cost of this? It's completely unnecessary and not something I would ever support.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

wilding  (16-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Before I start... I am a SAHM and do want a 3rd and the extra money would definietly help BUT....

I think its a really really bad decission. I DO understand how it would help alot of people (truely i do) but I have seen to many times the problems it creates.

$5000 that mums get now is great. I think it's ok and it helped us out and many others. BUT..... There are alot of cases out there where women want money and therefore choose to have a baby to 1. get baby bonus and 2. gets benefits and then don't look after the children. I have seen this first hand time after time.

I have friends and family who are foster parents and this is actually a big problem. They are raising these children not the mothers who give birth and take advantage of the bonus.

for example: 1 lady I know (i have know interest in her, but the wellbeing of her deprived children) has had 13 children!!! 10 who are in foster care and 3 who are living with her (which i use loosely) The 3 children that are in her care are 3, 5, 9. This woman lives in a house with 2 men and her way of paying her way (rent, food etc) is by s3x (fact, right from the woman's mouth) Her children see all of this. The youngest is 3 and is locked in her room with packets of chips, 1 nappy and a bottle all day and can't speak. Her 9 year old stays at someone differents home each night as there she gets fed and has a bed to sleep in. The 5 year old lives with a man he thinks is his father (but is not, the man just took responsibility for him as he couldn't manage what he saw) This man already has 9 of his own children.

If the baby bonus was put to $10000 then no questions need to be asked she WILL have more children.

Her case isn't unusual, its rather frightning. Also I know women who are told by their own mothers just have another baby if money is tight . These women have a baby every year to a different father for this reason.

So whats it worth? An extra $5000 to help those who are responsible, devoted parents OR money to be the deciding fact for so many more unwanted, unloved children to be born? Who will raise them and fund them? The cycle will just keep going. Giving money isnt the answer! Maybe vouchers to things like nappies etc is the better option. Not to just decide here have $10000. That is ALOT of money.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Geez! That's a crazy amount of money! I'm expecting twins .. Did they think bout that lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work full time and we are planning our first together (I have 2 from previous marriage). I thinks it's stupid as they could put that extra money into healthcare which would support new mums just as much when they need it!!

As a working mom I know the costs I have to look into before we have kids and don't expect the government to pay me more just because I'm having a child.

The baby bonus/paid parental leave is a great help as it is. If people are going to make babies they need to be able to support them without expecting a government handout to bail them out. Babies aren't a money making scheme after all !!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lib77 For This Useful Post:

Mill  (16-04-2012),share a book  (15-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a sahm and think its a terrible idea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think it's a bad idea tbh.