+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My Dad bought me my first drink for my Deb after party when I was 16. The "after party" was just a few girls at a friend's place and was supervised by her parents. I remember being in the bottle shop with Dad and having to choose something for him to buy me. I went with a four-pack of pre-mixed malibu concoctions in little white bottles.

I remember feeling giddy and giggly after the first couple of sips (I'm sure I must have imagined it!). Only drank half of one bottle for the whole night!

MuminMind is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Helpful Member, Member I'd Most Like To Meet, Most Community Minded Thread, Best Potential Moderator and Newbie of the Year Awards
    BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I *think* I would have been around 8 when we were allowed a sip of champagne from our parents on NYE. Could have been younger, could have been older.

I was 13 when my friends and I started to drink to get drunk. Funnily, by the time I was 16, I was a pretty "responsible" drinker (hardly ever got *really* drunk, and often looked after others) This changed again when I started travelling when I was 18. My God, have I spewed in a lot of dark alleys around Europe! When I think of some of my behaviours now, it makes me want to lock my kids in forever.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    18 and proud of it!

***Happy to be a Mummy & Daddy of ONE! :-) ***

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Like as in a PROPER drink, not just a sip?

I would have been 16 I think. I was in Year 11, so that's approx 16. I got drunk off my face and threw up everywhere. I stepped on glass and didn't realise because I was so drunk I couldn't feel it.

I didn't drink again until I was almost 18... because the memory of all that vomiting had me queasy at the mere thought of alcohol. lol.

Our Dad used to offer us a small glass (in a port glass) of red wine with dinner when were younger though - I'm sure it must have started when our parents were still living together and they split when I was 14 so I was younger than that... but I always turned it down because I thought it was wrong to drink so young, and because I didn't really like it anyway. My brother would accept the offer though and got drunk way younger and much more often than I did. He's also a bit of a drinker now too... I drink rarely.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    First taste - sips of dad's beers or mum's West Coast Coolers (lol - so 80's) would have been around 5 or so.

First full drink to myself I think I was 14.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My Dad would let us try the head of the beer when we were little so I was probably as young as 6 or 7 and although I really didn't drink anything I still hated the taste.

My first real drink was probably 13 and it was behind my parents back as was most of my drinking (nothing dangerous just the typical teenager thing) until I felt comfortable drinking in from of them. I honestly cannot remember what age that was.

I have great memories of my parents having parties and people drinking, singing etc and of teasing my parents the next morning if they had hangovers. It only happened once or twice a year at annual parties but it never damaged me in any way to see it.

I think that it is naive to think that my child will wait until he is 18 to have his first drink and so I would prefer that I am involved in his decision. I expect that he will go through the phase of drinking at parties before 18, of trying to get into night clubs/pubs underage as I did this and I will not be surprised if he does the binge drinking thing in his early 20's. I also will not be suprised if he decides that he doesn't like the taste of alcohol and steers away from it.

There is alcoholism in my extended family but I have never witnessed it only been told about it. If I had witnessed it then my opinion may be completely different.

I want my relationship with DS to be open. I am his parent and not his best friend so there will be boundaries put in place but I want him to always know that he can tell me anything and call me whenever he needs me without fear of the consequences. Note that he would still know that there would be consequences eg if he called me off his face to pick him up at age 16 I would do so without comment but the next day he would face the appropriate response from me.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i was 11, a tiny glass of champagne at a wedding, from 12 we had wine with dinner.
    ive worked with alcohol for 10 years, and its a nonevent for me (though i crave beer/wine when pregnant)

Guest Guest
    My first sip was about 4? My dad would let me have a sip of his beer, they'd drink those big bottles of vb also very 80's at parties I was also allowed a tiny bit of tropicana wine and when I was about 9/10 I snitch a whole glass and vomited that night.
    Didn't drink again till I was 16 and drunk excessively till about 20 (had a drinking problem) I haven't had a drink in 13years.
    I won't be giving my kids tastes of alcohol like I was allowed, it might not hurt some kids, but with my and dh's genes I'm too scared they'll enjoy it :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    13 maybe? Can't remember. Got smashed at 14. It was dark day the next day! Was going to pubs etc by 17. All my friends are drinkers tbh. I have no issue with this. We are all successful, happy, hard working people. But we do like a tipple.
    I could have written this myself. Sums me up exactly.

I would add DH and I don't drink in front of the kids (unless we're having people over and then it's very moderate).

My approach I think is that alcohol is an inevitable part of their teenage years and hopefully my relationship with my kids will be strong enough that they'll keep me in the loop.

Oh and my brothers are both alcoholics (one died from it) as are most of the men on my mother's side of the family. But I have always been able to drink moderately as has DH.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    14 I think.Mum always brought me and my mates alcohol
    I am really unsure what I will do with my kids. I guess I will cross that bridge when I get to it