+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default *spin off* How old were you when you had your first alcoholic drink?

As the title says - was just reading some of the responses to the "what age would you let your children have wine/spritzer at dinner" and I noticed quite a few responses said 16/18/never.

I had my first drinking night at 14, with my older brother & sister. Pretty sure mum never knew about it. Then I started going to party's and drinking more when I was 16. Again, mum had no idea.

How old we're you when you started drinking? And with that in mind, will it affect how you deal with alcohol and your children?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had my first drink at 16 and didn't start drinking socially until I was 17, now at 23 I don't drink at all lol.

Yes it will effect how I deal with my kids and alcohol because I did a lot of things I regret that I wouldn't have done while sober.
    Last edited by brooke88(mum2b09); 15-04-2012 at 10:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i honestly can't remember. probably 8...?? a sip of dad's beer or wine. if we wanted a tiny glass we were allowed and it was never a forbidden thing.
    when i was a teenager my mum would buy me a bottle of something from the bottle shop as she would rather know what i was drinking and that i was doing it responsibly. i was the only one of my large group of friends that didn't binge drink either. (i was the poor person holding my friends hair back while they threw up......)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was 11 maybe 12 when I first tried it at a friends house. Her parents were out and she raided her father's alcohol cupboard. I think there were 6 of us girls and we all took turns having sips of this disgusting glass of port. It was an ongoing thing at parties from there on. NO WAY did my parents know or I would have been grounded. It freaks me out that my daughter might be sneaking drinks in 5 years time. I hope I've brought her up to be more sensible about alcohol than I was.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TeenyT For This Useful Post:

Hers&Hers  (16-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was round 13 when I first had a sneaky sip of dads martini from the fridge. It was disgusting and I swore I would never drink.

Then I went to a sleepover/party when I was about 14. The girls wern't very nice to me but my best friend was invited so I thought i'd be okay. I got there and then she canceled.

I felt really left out, they were all doing makeup and hair things and wearing lovely clothes and I was there in my daggy tracksuit not knowing how to act or what to say.
    They invited some boys over and the boys brought some cider and cans of something called 'white lightening'. I knew all about peer pressure but I was having such a crap time that when someone offered me one I took it and drank half the can.
    Ten minutes later I ad my head down the toilet puking my guts up whilst the girls stood at the door snickering.
    I stumbled to a bedroom and collapsed on one of the beds, next thing I knew I was waking up and it was morning.

I went downstairs and saw everyone asleep on various sofa's/chairs. I opened the curtains and said in my most cheerily voice 'well, I hope you all enjoyed my performance last night'...trying to make light of the situation.
    A girl called Gemma got up, pulled the curtains closed again and said '**** of home little girl'.

Tears immediately sprung to my eyes, I was so humiliated. I got my bag and quietly let myself out. Walked the whole way home crying.
    The next day it was all round school how I'd chucked my guts up on half a can and everyone made me fun of me for the rest of the year.

I left school and generally lost the plot when it came to drink.I'd get plastered to the point of not knowing how I got home most nights.It was like a challenge to see how much I could drink. Family never cared as they were too focused on mum and her problems.
    I slept with people I didnt want to. I made a fool of myself in more places than I care to remember.I became depressed and then drank to try and block out the pain.

Both my parents were alcoholics (before dad died), my sisters are alcoholics, and I do find, before I was pregnant, I would tend to go through stages of drinking quite a bit.

It has absolutely affected how I will deal with alcohol when the time comes with DD. I will be brutally honest with her, I will tell her my experiences with it, and my families, I will tell her what it did to them, and me. I will tell her that in my family, there is a predisposition to alcoholism unfortunately and so we need to be extra careful in our approach to this.
    DH thinks I shouldn't tell her any of these things, he thinks the less said the better, and just see what happens.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    11 or 12 was first time I got drunk. I remember having sips and tastes before that.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    18. My choice. I'd been offered wine at the table since I was 8 or so.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (15-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Um first time i tasted alcohol - around 7 or something like that.
    Age i started drinking alcohol/getting drunk - 12
    I stopped getting drunk at 21 and now only have 1-2 on occasion, not often though.

I grew up with an alcoholic parent until i was about 11 and after that all i was told about alcohol was 'don't drink it' and that's it. It was forbidden but also never spoken about. I knew the negative effects, i saw it first hand, but i still decided to drink and a pretty heavy drinker as a teen.
    My plan is to educate my kids about alcohol - not just say 'no, you can't have it' but to talk to them about responsible drinking etc. I won't allow them alcohol until they are of legal age but i suppose they will try it anyway ,as most kids do, so hopefully i can teach them to be responsible with it. I'm not too sure how i will tackle it but that's my vague idea so far.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had shandies (lemonade and beer) when really young, I can remember my grandma giving them to me occasionally under 5 years. My dad let us drink in our early teens, my mum was probably stricter but we were allowed champagne on family occasions. I acquired my own alcohol from around 13 and drank regularly, but having a baby at 23 pretty much slowed that right down. I drink occasionally now. My son has had the odd half glass with me, he is 13.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was allowed to have a one "shandy" (lemonade mixed with beer) at family BBQ's etc from around the age of 14. At 14-15 I started drinking and getting drunk with friends.
    My mum does not drink and my dad is an alcoholic.
    I hate alcohol (as I've seen the damage it can cause) and wont allow my son to drink until he's 18. He's a different kid to how I was, I was a bit of a rebel teen, my DS is very much a goody goody (which I love )
    Since quitting drinking with this pregnancy, DH had stopped as well and we both agree that we don't want to ever drink again.. we're going to be non- drinkers
    I love my glass of wine of a night time, so will be hard!
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 15-04-2012 at 11:36.