+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Northerly View Post
    There's a terrific illustrated version of 'a brief history of time' which I found really helpful when trying to understand some of the concepts. But I'm no physicist so I needed all the help I could get!
    I didn't know this! It sounds great. I'm a visual learner so this would be ideal. Ain't no physicist here either

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm really interested in medical science and research. At the moment, I'm finding ongoing research about liquid ventilation for extremely premature babies to be interesting.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm an astronomy nut. It absolutely fascinates me and never fails to put my back in my place when I realise how insignificant we are in the sceme of things!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    ..we are all star dust!

...watched a video of Mercury thiocyanate decomposition this morning --- I almost wet my pants, it was so cool!!

So jealous of all of you who had the smarts and the patience to stick at learning about awesomeness and are applying it in your career and life.
    Wish I wasn't so distracted my hormones in high school and paid more attention

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by felicita View Post
    But that pruney fingers thing is interesting. DH is going to check his fingers after his shower tomorrow. He crushed C3,C4,C5 and still has a lot of proprioception, but no voluntary function below C5, so we're curious to find out. Not sure if oedema will affect the result.
    So, of course we forgot to check today. But the carer helping him get ready says she has never noticed his fingers pruney despite the exorbitant length of time he spends in the shower. The oedema is not so bad in the distal segment of his fingers, so I don't think it is masking the result. So chalk up one more anecdote for neurological involvement.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to felicita For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (16-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Here's one I've been wondering about - tongue curling, into a U shape.

We're taught that it's a dominant genetic trait, so in order to do it at least one of your parents must be able to do it. However, I know for certain that neither of my parents were able to do it, yet I was able to spontaneously at a young age.
    Neither of my siblings were able to do it - until as an 8 year old I came across a way for them to learn, by sticking their tongue in the neck of a bottle and trying to maintain the shape when they withdrew it. Neither of them can curl their tongue tightly, but they can now do it enough to "pass" when the question goes around as to whether you can do it.

So what's really going on? Yes, it's possible that I have a mutation giving rise to the trait, but would have to have said that my siblings did not, which is fine. But since they were able to learn the trait, which was never mentioned in the tests, it was simply you can or you can't, then I think it's unlikely that all three of us have independently acquired the relevant mutations. Seems more likely tongue curling isn't dominant at all.

WDYT

(This actually underpins what turned my curiosity about genetics into a decision to apply to do biology at uni.)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I had no idea when I took the kids to see it that it had anything to do with Darwin or Queen Victoria or anything -When I realised it started to referencing - I just laughed with the kids I took - it wasn't meant to be anything to do with any historical happening - it was just funny about the Dodo - (like the idea of Wallace and Grommet and the large rabbit)

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I guess the difference (for me) is that Wallace and Grommet have never been real people. I had a long discussion about it with DD afterwards.

Also didn't really like the business about 'looking down ladies tops' and all the references to getting a girl friend and getting to 'second base'. I found that a bit unnecessary for a kids movie.

Anyway, back to science! I saw something recently about bees being better sniffer dogs than sniffer dogs Anyone know much about it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    I saw something recently about bees being better sniffer dogs than sniffer dogs Anyone know much about it?
    Nope. But I have seen that a majority of the time sniffer dogs are actually responding to cues from their handlers rather than actually sniffing.

tiggerfields is offline Priestess of Kult K'iesha... Mooo!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    What? 14 million years?! Oops. Clearly not a science journalist (or subeditor).

The researcher shows that the cosmic radiation background (CMB) formed in concentric circles that had cooled to a temperature of -270C over the 14 million years since the universe came into being.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/technology/sc...#ixzz1xdtTi6kl