+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I thought you were booked in to study this year Ana?

If so - usually if you're through a uni system - you can access journals online via the uni.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm a soft scientist

I am interested in most scientific disciplines, but I become completely engrossed in behavioural science. My degree is social science with a double major in criminology & psychology and most of my electives were anthropology subjects. I adore anthropology and I would love to become a forensic anthropologist.

I also have a strong interest in neuroscience, genetics, palaeontology and evolutionary biology...amongst others.

Great thread

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks for this thread!

Psychology is my area of research too. My postgrad is in clinical psych, but I'm also very interested in neuropsychology, especially interpersonal neurobiology. I just love the way it supports existing psychodynamic and systemic theories, eg attachment theory/ developmental psychopathology . Parsimonious theories make me happy inside and help me sleep at night.

I guess i have a healthy respect/ scepticism of science from seeing it from the inside (and also being a practitioner).

I like that it feels safe to expose my geeky-ness here.
    Last edited by ABigDeepBreath; 15-04-2012 at 19:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not a scientist (although my field has been called 'the dismal science') but I can't get enough of evolutionary biology (Dawkins's The Ancestor's Tale and Coyne's Why Evolution Is True are two stand outs). It fascinates me. Cosmology is also something I have a very keen interest in (another Neil deGrasse Tyson fan here) and want to find out a lot more about Linguistics (Pinker's The Language Instinct was terrific).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Before moving to Australia I worked for a company called IsoTis in the Netherlands (it's now called Integra). It's a US based company and the department I worked in was skin reproduction. It was a fantastic job and area to work in, but other opportunities came up and I moved back to Australia. I am still wondering if I made the right choice, but c'est la Vie.

My job was basically getting a skin graft from a burn victim and reproduce/grow their skin in the lab so that it could be transplanted back without the risk of rejection. Such a thankful job as well.

Once DS goes to primary school, I would love to go back to uni and go for a different science degree. Psychology is something I'm interested in right now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm so so jealous of all you people with science degrees!! I've always wanted to get one but my ex husband wouldn't let me. I'm halfway through a nursing degree (that's what he let me do ) but might do something else after...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    I'm so so jealous of all you people with science degrees!! I've always wanted to get one but my ex husband wouldn't let me. I'm halfway through a nursing degree (that's what he let me do ) but might do something else after...
    You're never too old I know a few people who have never worked a day in their lives but they each have well over 10 degrees to brag about lol

Depending on what science you're interested in, you might have to move town. Degrees that require laboratories and expensive/large equipment, are usually only offered in major cities. Other degrees like psychology are offered by most uni's though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Stephen hawkings, 'a brief history of time' blew my mind nearly 20 years ago. I think it's about time I read the updated version though. Anything to do with particle physics fascinates me, Higgs boson aka the god particle, still waiting...

Thanks
    Reviews
    There's a terrific illustrated version of 'a brief history of time' which I found really helpful when trying to understand some of the concepts. But I'm no physicist so I needed all the help I could get!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Northerly For This Useful Post:

babyla  (16-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hav eboth the 'adult version' and Illustrated 'children's version' of Bill Bryson's "A short history of nearly everything" - love both of them!

...I also learnt tonight that Caecilians ( a legless amphibian) have young that eat the skin that contains fat off off their mother and she replaces it every 3 days to nourish them!

AND that Shingle Backs (Sleepy Lizards) give birth to live young instead of laying eggs (often 2 - their combined weight being the equivalent of a human gestationally carrying a three year old!) - they mate for 'life' ...relationships last through Spring and they find each other again each year...and if one dies (gets hit by a car for example) - the other will stay by it's side for sometimes weeks, gently nudging it. (naaaaaw )

[Growing up in Broken Hill Dad used to bring these home evry now and then - or we'd see them out bush...I never knew this [obviously, as a child] ...and am so glad I do now]

...can you tell I've been swooning over David Attenborough all night?!