+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As a biochemist, any new viral outbreak excites me Like SARS, swine flu, etc. People think I'm some evil woman for getting excited about this virus that's killing people. All I want to do is pop into a cleanroom and start working on a vaccine. Instead I now just read up on whatever info is available, just keeping myself informed while being a SAHM

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Great thread

I'm a geologist and have keen interest in tectonics, especially reconstructing how Queensland formed. Super Mars nerd too, love trawling through the NASA websites for new images and results from the satellites and rovers.

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I love balancing chemical equations - love the fact that an acid + base = salt + water.... (and others - love how they balance out)

But what I do while lots of people see it as biological science - is physics and lever systems. I do exercise programs, ergonomics, postural stuff - and it all comes down to levers, Pressure = Force/Area and more. Torque and turning forces, equating gravity with resistance...

The human body is the best science example - the amount of physics vectors going on, chemical changes that occur, to allow calcium, potassium balancing in the body, biology of growth, and more.

Infact neuroscience fascinates me so much I taught it at uni for awhile

Science nerd much?
    Last edited by Mod-pegasus; 15-04-2012 at 15:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pippy the Hippo View Post
    I'm not really a "science" kind of person... BUT... I just absolutely love love love LOVE listening to Dr Karl on Triple J...!! Any one else addicted..?

I actually listen to his pod casts in the car most of the time. He's so knowledgable about .. EVERYTHING!!!! hahaha
    Me toooooo!

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I've got one of his books here - he's great

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    New Science-y hypothesis I read about today ~

"A new study suggests that pruney hands and feet are the result of neurological activity and not the absorption of water into the skin, as common wisdom dictates. Some scientists now think that it is a biological response in order to give the hands and feet better grip on objects that are wet.

One major hint that it is neurological and not water related is the fact that hands with severed nerves will never get pruney."

...the study is probably over a year old now, would be interesting to hear how it is going!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (15-04-2012),MissMuppet  (16-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My background is biotechnology (undergrad) and CD4 T cell immunology (decisions between tolerance and immunity). I'm not working atm, and plan to be a SAHM before the end of the year.

But that pruney fingers thing is interesting. DH is going to check his fingers after his shower tomorrow. He crushed C3,C4,C5 and still has a lot of proprioception, but no voluntary function below C5, so we're curious to find out. Not sure if oedema will affect the result.

Obviously, given the above info, I've an interest in autologous stem cells (particularly for spinal nerve regeneration, but success for quadriplegia also depends on improvements in surgical skills). It's a pity the Brisbane olfactory ensheathing cells didn't seem to work out.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to felicita For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (15-04-2012),Misschief  (15-04-2012)

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Ooooo, just read an article about orthographic processing in baboons. How fascinating! Wish I could read the paper instead of just the abstract.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    mmm prunes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    Ooooo, just read an article about orthographic processing in baboons. How fascinating! Wish I could read the paper instead of just the abstract.
    What journal is it in? I may be able to acquire it for you if you want