+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Holding child back (to start at 6yrs) QLD. Did you?

Hi, I've heard several different things from different people. Can you hold your child back so that they start prep at 6yrs of age.. Or if you do hold them back do they have to go straight into year 1..which if that's the case, why bother keeping them back?

Did your child start at 6 yrs old.. Did they get teased for being held back.. Did it help or hinder them?

***Happy to be a Mummy & Daddy of ONE! :-) ***

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Im not sure how the Qld system works, but I gave my DS an extra year to mature before he started school

It was one of the best things we've done for him academically, and he's never been teased as he was neither the eldest or youngest in his year level, and seeing that Vic has composite classes at all year levels, it's hardly been noticed from a social POV amongst his peers

3. The Following User Says Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (14-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassMum View Post
    Im not sure how the Qld system works, but I gave my DS an extra year to mature before he started school

It was one of the best things we've done for him academically, and he's never been teased as he was neither the eldest or youngest in his year level, and seeing that Vic has composite classes at all year levels, it's hardly been noticed from a social POV amongst his peers
    In QLD kids start prep (previously called preschool) at age 5..they must be 5 by June the year they commence. My son will be 5 this November therefore making him one of the older kids (not the oldest though as kids who turn 5 in July this year would be 4 months older than him iykwim.

So was your son 6 already when he started?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I was seriously contemplating holding coop back. He isnt 5 til middle of june and is the 3rd youngest in the class but is going really well. If he has to repeat i dont have issues with that at all.

In the end i am glad i didnt hold him back either as he was ready and he would of been extremely bored at daycare if he was still there.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub
    Last edited by Myztiks#1Fan; 14-04-2012 at 22:01.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    DS is 5 in June so technically he was supposed to start prep this year and we are in Qld. We have decided to hold him back so he will start prep when he is 5 and a half. DS had/has a significant speech delay which we are working on and his comprehension of the world had been affected by this. I have been in touch with the school that he is going to and I have record of recommendations from child care and I could easily get them from other health care professionals if needed (eg his speech therapist).

Do you have a particular reason you want your DS to start a year later?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post

So was your son 6 already when he started?
    DS was 5 and turned 6 in April. In Vic they can start at 4 if they turn 5 before the end of April.

There are kids in his year level that were 6 when they started prep, and some where 4 turning 5 - so DS could have started the year before.

DS was academically ready. My issuse isnt the starting years of school, but rather the middle years of school. Just about every parent I've spoken too, parents of older boys especially where either glad they started their child the second year or wish they had of.

Even the secondry teachers I work with all say that the older kids generally do better

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's just such a big difference in age.. I mean there will be 4.5years olds in his class and he would be 6yrs 2 months!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    DS is 5 in June so technically he was supposed to start prep this year and we are in Qld. We have decided to hold him back so he will start prep when he is 5 and a half. DS had/has a significant speech delay which we are working on and his comprehension of the world had been affected by this. I have been in touch with the school that he is going to and I have record of recommendations from child care and I could easily get them from other health care professionals if needed (eg his speech therapist).

Do you have a particular reason you want your DS to start a year later?
    Same as your son.. Speech disorder (phonological disorder, dyspraxia and stuttering) fine and gross motor delays (only minor) and problems with expressive speech and comprehension (as usually get with speech disorders). He is immature for his age really, especially socially... Holding him back hasn't been mentioned by his OT, ST or child care teachers.. It's just something I was wondering

Thanks
    Reviews
    Actually... Think I answered my own query lol... Basically be would be 18 turning 19 at the end of grade 12..that's quite alot older than most the kids