+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default The way you parent

do you think the way you parent will one day have a negative impact on your child when they are an adult?

Do you parent in a way that is more benificial for YOU than for your child? I.e makes your life easier, rather than theirs?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think about this a lot, how will DS feel when he's older. I really do think he'll be fine. He knows he's loved, wanted and cared for with fair boundaries.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes sometimes. My child is very intense , some may say spirited and he often cannot deal with conflict and storms off or will get nasty either with me or with the child. I sometimes feel at a loss as what I should do . Sometimes he Gets disciplined and sometimes he doesn't. I am actually going to post about it !

Yes I think if I don't get more on top of things there will be an overall negative outcome.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No, I strongly believe that if kids live in an environment where everyone is loved and respected, the rest all looks after itself.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Savingfishfromdrowning  (14-04-2012),Stiflers Mom  (14-04-2012),SugarSkull  (14-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't worry about that. I will now.. Thanks!! Hahah...

I don't think OUR parenting will have a negative impact purely because I think I'm a blo0dy awesome parent

We always did/do the AP parenting and DD is extremely independent, has beautiful manners, but is clearly still your typical 2 year old.

We have strict rules: No hitting, bitting, disrespecting ect. But if the rules are broken (rarely) we talk about it don't just instantly yell or smack (something we are against). We treat her with respect, just because he is a child doesn't mean she doesn't deserve it like an adult does.

I'm happy that I actually am good at something!! I'm a good Mum. I'm proud of myself and my little family.

I hope she continues to grow up a beautiful well adjusted lady, because I think we are giving her the right tools to accomplish that.

Anywho enough tooting my own horn, I probably sounded like a t0sser writing that . Haha.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

MoonMoon  (14-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I parent the opposite to how I was parented..I grew up thinking I will not treat my children as my parents treated me!

In saying that it is more about what I think is right for my children but it also suits me to parent like that.

And I hope my parenting is a positive experience for my kids, and when they are older they think they were brought up well, with honest values and integrity.
    Last edited by crunchie; 14-04-2012 at 15:20.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    i dont worry at all.
    i parent the way i was parented, and think i turned out great
    we AP, and it works great so far with our spirited child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope, I think the way I parent will have a very positive impact on DD when she is older.
    The reason for this is down to how much time and effort DH and I put into our parenting choices. We are always having all night conversations about how we parent and if we think we could improve in any areas. Just today we had a 2 hour conversation about DD because she passed a teacher in the street, the teacher asked if she was having a good weekend and DD said 'yeah'.

Just that, 'yeah'. We were rather horrified and went home thinking perhaps we haven't been educating her in the art of conversation as much as we should have. She's 7.

Her actions, and ours are questioned on a daily basis so there is never an option for something to get out of hand, or for us to fall into a bad parenting choice trap. We never slack off because we cannot be bothered or because it's easier.

I say to DH sometimes, she has no idea just how much work goes into making sure she is as well rounded as she is.

My siblings and I were left to raise ourselves, unless my parents got involved which generally was only to hit us (dad) or scream at us (mum).I cannot for a second imagine they ever sat down and said 'okay, so, let's talk about how we are doing parenting wise'...not in a million years.
    I find it amazing that i'm not seriously messed up in the head (okay I'm a lil nuts sometimes but not much)...so if I turned out okay, DD has the best chance in the world to turn into a very well adjusted adult.

Sorry if any of this sounds like I'm being smug, (I get that a lot)but I don't think it's being smug, I think we put a lot of hard work into DD and we reap the benefits of that.
    Last edited by GothChick; 14-04-2012 at 15:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gosh, reading that, I just realised DH and I seriously need a hobby!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GothChick For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (14-04-2012),SugarSkull  (14-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by waterlily View Post
    I d

I don't think OUR parenting will have a negative impact purely because I think I'm a blo0dy awesome parent

We always did/do the AP parenting and DD is extremely independent, has beautiful manners, but is clearly still your typical 2 year old.

I'm happy that I actually am good at something!! I'm a good Mum. I'm proud of myself and my little family.

I hope she continues to grow up a beautiful well adjusted lady, because I think we are giving her the right tools to accomplish that.

Anywho enough tooting my own horn, I probably sounded like a t0sser writing that . Haha.
    Not at all. I think it's wonderful. Some people don't enjoy being a parent, there isn't a thing on the planet I get more enjoyment from. I was born to be a mother and I think I'm a damned good one. It's the only thing I'm really rather good at.So if you sound like a t0sser, we can be T0ssers together.