+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I love Aha Parenting, I've gained a lot of knowledge from that website.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to elleandsam For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (14-04-2012)

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i just joined this website, and people have been very helpful with how they do things, so thanks everyone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Subscribing for later

Thanks
    Reviews
    We do the 1-2-3 approach for our dd shes 3, if I ever get to 3 she goes to the thinking cushion until she feels calm enough to talk about it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to fichicken For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (14-04-2012)

bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I count backwards from 5. DS1 usually drops everything by 1 while screaming "Stop counting, It makes me sad". He has been refusing to a but lately. DS2 is obstinate and nothing seems to work. I'm often in tears because of his behaviour. I'll keep reading for ideas.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bellalika For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (14-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Our first is still on their way, but I have years of experience with kids from babysitting (12 plus hours a lot of the time, so I had all day with the kids and put them in bed) and also when I looked after a special needs girl on her school bus to and from school.

I always made sure I would never threaten anything I wasn't going to do, and if I did outline a consequence and the behaviour continued I followed through. I found consistency and honesty helped a lot and after a while just reminding them to behave was enough (if they were really acting out I'd go back to reinforcing consequences).

My consequences were always pretty mild (toy removal for a set period of time, time outs, no treats ect.) but it always got me good results, as long as it was something they really wanted. I also rewarded good behaviour with praise, an extra treat, putting on a good dvd. Anything to acknowledge that they are trying hard

I find talking to kids helps so much as well. If they are asking and answering questions then they are learning, which keeps them calmer and makes them more likely to reason out what they are feeling, and what they want

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Amiedoll For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (30-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I've tried a bunch of things, but currently counting to 3 works well (though DP hates this, and thinks she shouldn't have to be counted to and should just do what she's told immediately... but if it works, who cares?), and so does removing priveledges. Things like no TV, no DS, etc... that all works well.

She's nearly 7.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (30-04-2012),jacobsmamma  (30-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I use 1 2 3 too but I will say:
    DD stop jumping on your bed.
    DD if you don't stop you will not be going to grandmas today (or I will take 1 toy away or something) I always warn her of her punishment first.
    Okay 1, 2, 3.
    Okay you didn't listen (I remove her from the bed) then I will go into her toy room and take a toy or I'll call grandma and say we won't be going today.
    Then she has to earn her toy back ect.

It's VERY rare the 1,2, 3 won't work so don't usually have to follow through.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (30-04-2012)