+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default discipline, everyones views :)

so.. whats everyone's views? naughty corners? being sent to the bed room? smacking? whats?
    i use the 1 2 3. i say "do not make me count to 3" (in a angry voice) and the little ones (2yrs and 3yrs) look at me like yea right, then i say "1" and they drop everything lmao works every time, only sometimes get to 2 never get to 3,
    what about you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine are a little bit older... 5, 8 and 10. If, after they've been warned prior and refuse to listen, they get sent for time out in their rooms. They get as many minutes as their age. So the youngest gets 5 minutes in his room. Works for us.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5thbubontheway For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (14-04-2012),hopefully2  (14-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We do time out with our 5 year old (though not for a set time), she gets sent to her room until she has calmed down and ready to apologize..... Sometimes she's in there for 5 minutes, sometimes she lays down and has a rest for 30 minutes!!

With the one year old, usually he gets redirected if he's doing something feral to some other activity!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum2EandR For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (14-04-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    emotion coaching, reasoning and natural consequences.
    this is for a nearly 2yo and 2 nearly 6yos.
    we do thinking time, instead of naughty corner/timeout (we never use the word naughty either, we say yucky) which involves sitting together until the child is calm and able to express themselves

7. The Following User Says Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (14-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love the 1-2-3 magic approach and it's does work a treat and is a fair method I feel. I also do triple p in the fact that we use positive reinforcement as much as possible and to be honest i find it hard work with 3 kids to make sure we acknowledge the good things is tiring (we have a double story house with living up and down) but definitely keeps me aware and I feel in control of myself not blowing up when following these methods. Shamefully I was a smack mum in my earlier parenting years

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lovejoypeace For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (14-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by trishalishous View Post
    emotion coaching, reasoning and natural consequences.
    this is for a nearly 2yo and 2 nearly 6yos.
    we do thinking time, instead of naughty corner/timeout (we never use the word naughty either, we say yucky) which involves sitting together until the child is calm and able to express themselves
    I love this, it's the kind of approach we have always used with DD.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummyOf2Sweeties View Post
    so.. whats everyone's views? naughty corners? being sent to the bed room? smacking? whats?
    i use the 1 2 3. i say "do not make me count to 3" (in a angry voice) and the little ones (2yrs and 3yrs) look at me like yea right, then i say "1" and they drop everything lmao works every time, only sometimes get to 2 never get to 3,
    what about you?
    So just out of curiousity... What would happen if you reached 3? DDs too young to discipline but I do think about how she'll be disciplined for the future.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

12. The Following User Says Thank You to heartjb For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (14-04-2012)

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    time out o the bed with no toys, and if i see them playing with toys or getting off the bed they have to stay there even longer (just 2 mins to start with)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonkers For This Useful Post:

heartjb  (14-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is also too young to discipline but I'm a great believer in using empathic limits, no rewards and punishments and Non-Violent Communication to discipline. The families I know who use these approaches have the most responsible lovely kids and happy homes of anyone I've ever met. My favourite discipline resources are the books "How to Talk so Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk" and "Parenting Effectiveness Training" and the Aha Parenting website.

I've been practicing the skills from these resources with my partner and they have improved our relationship SO much! Using this approach has also improved my relationship with my sisters out of sight. I feel so, so lucky to have found this approach to communicating and it's made me a much more confident parent knowing that I have the tools that I need even if I don't get it right every time

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wrena For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (14-04-2012),giggle berry  (14-04-2012),GothChick  (14-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wanted to thank all the posters, my DS is too young to discipline but have been wondering what approach to take when he's older. Particularly found your post informative wrena, thanks!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to giggle berry For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (01-05-2012),wrena  (14-04-2012)