+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Found this interesting

"Øster reported that among 1968 schoolboys examined annually for 8 years the incidence of phimosis was 8% at age 6 to 7 years, but only 1% by the age of 16 to 17 years.

How many physicians recommending and carrying out circumcision in schoolboys know this? A survey of 60 pediatricians in the United States revealed that 78% did not know at what age the prepuce might normally be retracted.

Øster found that only 3 (0.15%) of the 1968 boys [were told they needed] circumcision. Thus, the actual need for later circumcision may be greatly exaggerated."

Sources:
    CANADIAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION JOURNAL, Volume 126: Page 1399, June 15, 1982.

Fetus and Newborn Committee. Benefits and risks of circumcision: another view. Can Med Assoc J 1982;126:1399.

Øster J: Further fate of the foreskin: incidence of preputial adhesions, phimosis and smegma among Danish boys. Arch Dis Child 1968; 43: 200-203

Thanks
    Reviews
    This reminds me of the study in Finland that found only 6 males per 100,000 per lifetime were circumcised for a medical reason. Aside from Jews and Muslims, circumcision is almost unknown in Finland (and other Scandanavian countries and the rest of Europe).

Unfortunately in the USA doctors have no training about the foreskin, except how to cut it off. There have been numerous cases there of unnecessary circumcisions for supposed medical reasons, sometimes because doctors are not familiar with the normal development of the foreskin.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to serendipity22 For This Useful Post:

bada  (01-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Any time I took my son to the Dr for check up I would stand right by them to make sure they did not try to forcibly retract them. I have had doctors tell me that I had to retract it while I was bathing him what rubbish

I will say though the DR that came to see my son after he was born was great he asked if I wanted him circumcised. I was unsure at that point he was good he told me there is no medical reason for it, no benefits, and its cosmetic surgery. He told me that since there would be scar tissue that he will not get as much enjoyment from sexual encounters.